Bare bottom nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody running a bare bottom nano? I got sand and hate the look... before i add rock and corals i wanna see what others are doing. Thanks!

Not sure but I think in the long run it would look messy with a nano reef. You can see every algae bloom and all the waste. I guess if you had a crazy good cleanup crew it would be ok but just from my experience at looking at my LFS who sometimes goes bare, looks bad.

Maybe black sand or something? Or painted bottom?

corinne118s said:
Not sure but I think in the long run it would look messy with a nano reef. You can see every algae bloom and all the waste. I guess if you had a crazy good cleanup crew it would be ok but just from my experience at looking at my LFS who sometimes goes bare, looks bad.

Maybe black sand or something? Or painted bottom?

I have black sand. But i dropped my thermometer in it with an inch of water and it broke... i cant find the glass....

ForumRunner_20120210_104504.jpg

Make sure to safely dispose of the thermometer! And yea I wouldn't recommend sifting through that haha. I think it's brtter to add sand after rock so maybe you could try bare for a while while cycling then add sand if you don't like it?

You can run any tank bare bottom if you wish. Easy to vacuum the bottom with your water changes without a sand bed.

Does that thermometer have mercury in it? I'm guessing it does. You don't wanna mess with thy stuff. I remember as a kid we use to play with it in science class.

Now... We had a call, a lady had drop a thermometer in her house, it turned into a HUGE thing. HAZ-MAT, fire dept, health department and we had to be decontaminated that stuff flys everywhere.

mr_X said:
The thermometer didn't break. It's just the glass case around it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Your right. I took a better look at the pic. I guess that's the firemen in me. Always over cautious.

Hey I thought the same at first. We had mercury ones in high school until there was a break..

So if theres small pieces of glass would that hurt anything? I can see any. Lol its a 20 gal soon to be nano reef. Maybe a clown and some gobies. Nothing too crazy

How small.. If you get a pistol or something that digs it might hurt something

Back
Top Bottom