Bassmaster Classic in Pittsburgh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
The Bassmaster Classic events are in Pittsburgh this week! I went to the Junior Bassmaster event in Kittanning (about an hour north of Pittsburgh, on the Allegheny River) Kittanning is my hometown, so it was nice to go back for a day. The Junior events (ages 11-14 and 15-18 ) were held yesterday (Monday), and the other events will begin in Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

I don't do any sport fishing, but it was fun to attend the day's events on Monday. There was lots of good food and music! The winning kid got a $5000 college scholarship and a $5000 boat! The next four runners-up also got scholarships. It was so hot on Monday, about 92 degrees. The rest of the week should be much cooler!

I never heard of this event, but it sounded like a good time. On Long Island, there is an event in which the boaters compete to catch the most legal-sized blue fish in the allotted time (12 hours). One of my friends did this last year - 12 solid hours on his boat in the middle of the Long Island Sound! Is the Bassmaster competition something like this?

Wow! 12 solid hours on a boat! That's a love of fishing!

Yes, the Bassmaster is like this. Tomorrow is a practice day for the contestants, and some have been here for a few weeks already, scouting out locations. The allowed rivers are the Allegheny, Monongahela, and Ohio, up to certain lock and dams on each river, and also some tributaries. Wow! That's a lot of area to scout out. The anglers can bring back 5 bass a day, of at least 12 inches long. The bass are brought back in "livewells" to be weighed. The greatest total weight over the 3 tournament days (Friday-Sunday) wins. The fish are released after weigh-in. I wonder if they put something like Amquel into the livewells??

I was reading the newspaper articles a little more, and there was an illustration of the livewell and how it circulates water. I guess it's not really a filtration sytem in there, but it does pump in fresh air and water.

Good luck to all the contestants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom