BB and Biowheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, just general curiosity as I've gotten myself a Marineland Penguin and it came with a biowheel. I know the idea behind it is that it's supposed to keep beneficial bacteria in the wheel and I'm not supposed to change it unless it breaks.

Does anyone know if this is effective enough (if at all) after a proper cycle to make it safe to change the filter cartridge without worrying too much about depleting BB in the tank system? What about gravel/substrate changes?

Is this a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle you're talking about?

In reality there's no reason to change your filter cartridge unless they are deteriorating / falling apart. But if you are changing it, it should be okay just keep an eye out for a mini cycle over the next week or so.

Would there be a huge difference in what kind of cycle it would be?

I'm not really asking as a current situation I'm in, more just out of curiosity for future reference. But good to know that! A lot of things I've read seem to be overconfident.

There would be less of a problem in a fishless cycle, but it's not a huge difference either way. The bio wheels are there in part to prevent a re cycle when you change the cartridge but they aren't 100% effective.

Back
Top Bottom