BB tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
ive been reading a lot online and it seems that bare bottomed tanks are coming back into fashion... anybody out there have one?

it seems like you could really cut back on the amount of waste produced by removing the DSB...

what do other people think?

If you don't mind the way it looks aesthetically go for it. I decided on a DSB mostly for NNR and so far it has worked like a charm. Depending on what type of tank you want you may need to find another way to keep nitrates low.

now it was my understanding that a DSB was supposed to be around 5"+ to actually replace a filter, but feel free to correct me if im wrong. that seems like an awful waste of money since LS is EXPENSIVE and it seems like DSB's crash a lot, and release that nasty anoxic stuff.

the reason im brining this up is because i was looking into starting a SPS tank (particularly acro) sometime in the FAR future (im still getting experienced with softies here, so itll be a while), and a lot of people say BB is the only way to go.

sucessful DSB acro keepers? sucessful BB acro keepers?

DSB's dont need to be live sand, in fact a lot of DSB's are made of certain typps of aragonite play sand that runs like 5 bucks for 50 lbs. i dont know much a bout the crashing

Your can achieve NNR with anywhere from 3"- 8" of aragonite. DSB's are great for a lightly stocked Reef tank with sand stirring critters and good water flow. Most DSB crashes are caused by bad husbandry, wrong substrate size, dead sand, digging fish. You could always do a remote DSB if you are nervous and want no nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom