BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just said it looks like a melt caused by co2.

Theres not much ive seen to cause melt like that. Only co2 or salt.

Just because your drop checker is lime or even yellow, it does not mean the co2 is getting around the tank properly.

I was only suggesting somethng. Carry on as you were BCarl. I'll sit back and watch your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Approaching lurk status...sk3lly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lurk mode fully engaged.

I dont mean to get rude or argumentative. Just depends on what mood you get me in.

Plants in this tank suggest something is wrong. I say no more

I dont find your posts argumentative at all. Hard to tell inflection through a keyboard. Time will tell!

Here are some updated pics. One stem of Mini is melting bad, in the cup with osmocote, the one with just dirt looks fine. Also the stem of ludwigia is right at the spray bar output. About ready to tear this tank down and start over.
img_3228508_0_8990c8803200157559e8a5905a631926.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3228508_1_739f16a46423de5a72d2c447b4f9e687.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3228508_2_c5c7b371971c1b1c57a353bf2bd6350b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Getting a shorter more rimless tank??;)

I think a 17.1G rimless would be ideal, but I think switching out the substrate is more important. If I switch the entire tank to aquasoil I can eliminate the substrate variable.

Do you really think this is a substrate problem??

I cant see your way of thinking on this one

It could be, the first 3 months in the tank had beautiful growth, go back and look at the pictures. Back then, I had worse flow, CO2 and dosing habits. I had the tank back in pretty good shape right before I went out of town for work in march. I put some extra roottabs under a few groups of plants and they rotted from the bottom up. When I got home and turned up the CO2 drastically I saw an initial increase of good/great growth but since it has only been stunting and going back to what it was, I haven't decreased CO2 at all. Also the plants in the small tub of Aquasoil and dirt have done better.... Do I think its 100% probably not could it be part of the problem... Yes (half the eco complete is 2 years old as well)

I read something about root tabs in certain substrates and parameters will actually create an excess amount of ammonia which in turn burns the plants??

Yes, I've talked to a member on TPT that said since Eco-complete is alkaline that it can turn ammonia from root tabs into ammonium and thats what can but the plants. This would make some sense because the melt of the AR mini with the osmocote is melting just like the rest in the tank. The only problem with this theory is that the stem of AR mini that is in the aquasoil has the same symptoms.

I thought I read that if you don't push the root tabs down far enough they will leech ammonia. Could this be why the AR mini melted?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, there is no ammonia in the water column.

Sk3lly which part are you skeptical of?

I guess the whole cause of this being the substrate.

In my old setup i was forever pulling up root tabs accidentally whilst moving plants. Never an issue

Yeah, I really don't think anyone really knows whats going on with this tank... S. Repens starting to melt again... Oh joy... I am just going to keep messing with things until I move.

Yeah, I really don't think anyone really knows whats going on with this tank... S. Repens starting to melt again... Oh joy... I am just going to keep messing with things until I move.
Tank is ****ed....smash it with a hammer!
I hoped you had solved the problem,that's tough bro..
Refresh my memory,where does your source water come from&what will be you new source after the move..

sit in silence

Right now, it's softened well water that runs through the RO/DI filter. When I move I will go back to a hard city water, I will cut it with the RO/DI.

Right now, it's softened well water that runs through the RO/DI filter. When I move I will go back to a hard city water, I will cut it with the RO/DI.

Ok,I use hard city water for my tanks...but I use a airated 33g holding barrel to degas for 24hrs&then it is ran through a whole house water filter before being added during wc's(filter bought at Home Depot for less than $20)...ph in the barrel drops from 8.0 to between 7.2-7.4..

sit in silence

Back
Top Bottom