Beginner canister recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just browsing around Craigslist and this seems like a pretty good deal:
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/5258902541.html

However, I have ZERO experience with canisters and am the kind of person that keeps around instructions/manuals and sometimes getting stuff second-hand you're left to just guess or google search.

I also tried to look around on Amazon and there seem to be some good ones? I found a SunSun canister that seems good for ~60-65 dollars. I'd love some more experienced people weigh in though!

This would be for a 55 gallon tank that wouldn't be set up anytime soon, just swiping a good Craigslist deal and parking it at my grandma's house, where there's currently more space lol. Preferrably, I'd like to keep any canister recommendations under $75.

The Craigslist deal comes with 2 Aqueon Quietflow 50 filters, so a canister isn't absolutely necessary, but just something I might wanna look into, thanks guys! :)

This is the older model Fluval. New one is called 306 and is what i use on my 55g and 40b. New the 306 runs about $170 with all filter media included. I've never had a Sunsun but many people do use them. You might check Aquatop brand as well. With the Fluval products, canisters and hob I always know how to put them together because it's the only brand I buy and they use pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Off of the top of your head do you know of many differences between the new and older models? Or is it relatively minimal?

I don't mind second hand stuff so long as it still works!

I've never owned the older models so I couldn't say. I remember reading there were improvements but I just can't recall what.
I'm not mechanically inclined at all so I have to get stuff with directions and those have to have pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm definitely the same way, Brenna haha. I can highly relate not being much of a builder either :') The aquarium life struggle.

Alot of parts only go one way on some fluvals I'm told, also seen a video, been thinking about getting one myself. ...

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sure if I WERE to get the craigslist deal, I could just ask the previous owner to show me what to do, just that if I run into trouble later on, I only have this forum to rely on as I don't really know anyone else personally with aquarium experience! :(

I would say always have a backup filter just in case.

Yeah fluval filters are great.I've never had a canister but have a u4 internal in a 40 gal and does an awesome job.

i have a fluval 206 which i bought second hand about a year ago and the only problem i had is that sometimes it leaks,but i spread some vaseline where the gasket sits and stops...just a tip if you search for fluval 305 on youtube there is videos that shows how to set it up...hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't like leaks..... hope others don't because I won't buy one if it does have a leak issue.

Just going to mention Cascade and SunSun as well for a cheaper alternative. I've had a cascade 1000 for 10 months now and it's flawless. Just recently got a SunSun used and it works pretty well too even though it's older.

Caleb

The gasket needs to be replaced once a year. That's probably why yours is leaking. I had no experience with canister filters until I bought a Fluval canister for my 75 gal. I liked it so much I changed my 45 gal tank over to a Fluval canister too. I love them!

The gasket needs to be replaced once a year. That's probably why yours is leaking. I had no experience with canister filters until I bought a Fluval canister for my 75 gal. I liked it so much I changed my 45 gal tank over to a Fluval canister too. I love them!

i replaced the gasket that same day,it wasn't a major leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom