Benificial bacteria question???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a canister filter from a guy about a week ago. He had it running on his oscar tank when i picked it up.

I did not set it up on my 125 tho. The water and media i left in it. Is the beneficial bacteria still in it????

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is some but many factors are involved.
Was it sealed closed completely,how warm was it.
I would drain the filter and rinse all media in dechlorinated water.
IMO with ammonia added like in fishless cycle you should cycle much faster then most.
Possibly under a week,but again it is very hard to predict different tanks and water.
The bacteria would not just die off in 1 week as it knows how to 'hybernate' in low food situations but if sealed or extreme conditions occurred then the BB may have been killed.
I still think even if 'killed/dead' the filter has 'seeds' to get your tank going faster then not.
Hope my crazy thinking helps!!:facepalm:

There is some but many factors are involved.
Was it sealed closed completely,how warm was it.
I would drain the filter and rinse all media in dechlorinated water.
IMO with ammonia added like in fishless cycle you should cycle much faster then most.
Possibly under a week,but again it is very hard to predict different tanks and water.
The bacteria would not just die off in 1 week as it knows how to 'hybernate' in low food situations but if sealed or extreme conditions occurred then the BB may have been killed.
I still think even if 'killed/dead' the filter has 'seeds' to get your tank going faster then not.
Hope my crazy thinking helps!!:facepalm:

It has been sealed the whole time. The waether has been 50 to 70 degrees the whole week. Its been in my garage

It has been sealed the whole time. The waether has been 50 to 70 degrees the whole week. Its been in my garage

Probably some die off but I would expect the majority to still be there.

Caleb

Probably some die off but I would expect the majority to still be there.

Caleb

+1 i agree,if you have seeded media from a running filter i would replace 1/4 or 1/2 of the non running filter to help revive the bacteria or recolonize the media with active bacteria,or run both filters simultaneously for at least 4 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom