Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did u end up checking out Liverpool creek aquariums dela?

They have amazing service and plant quality! [emoji106]

Clean forgot! Just having a look now before the VISA police catch me (thought I destroyed all receipts of essential, absolutely must-have purchases).

Edit - they look nice! I have tried some from auctions here but find they have to be good size plants or they just don't survive. I really need a grow-out tank.

Last edited:
Clean forgot! Just having a look now before the VISA police catch me (thought I destroyed all receipts of essential, absolutely must-have purchases).

Edit - they look nice! I have tried some from auctions here but find they have to be good size plants or they just don't survive. I really need a grow-out tank.

Ahh yes, a lot of Lcas plants have been grown emersed but there is a lot of submerged options too. Mine generally have sat at a stand still for a month or melted and then come back with a vengeance lol almost gave up on the hippuroides it took that long lol

He's got the cleanest plants I've found so far in terms of snails and algae :)

Thanks KK and dela :)

The hippuroides finally took off KK :) should be hitting the surface in a few weeks :) just waiting for my other stems to adjust now [emoji106]
Awesome gonna take pics an soon as my tank rebounces lol

I've made up some PPS pro solutions so I'll start dosing them starting tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted with any differences I see [emoji106]

I've put micro's and macros into 2 pump bottles. 5 pumps of macros will give me high light PPS pro dosage and 3 pumps of micro will give me the target 0.01 fe target.

I've made up some PPS pro solutions so I'll start dosing them starting tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted with any differences I see [emoji106]

I've put micro's and macros into 2 pump bottles. 5 pumps of macros will give me high light PPS pro dosage and 3 pumps of micro will give me the target 0.01 fe target.

Sounds good [emoji106]

A GREAT day in the tank today, got the last few plants for the Ada build sitting in there ready to go!

I also found a guy who sold me 15 cherry shrimp! These guys are soooo cool! I like their swim feets!

Also while me and the wife were observing the new additions she noticed I have a baby cherry barb swimming under the bylxa! God knows how many are in there as the plants are so dense u can't see the back of the tank.

I'll have to pull down the filter tomorrow and check for any baby's and shrimp as I added the shrimp and then remembered I needed to foam the intakes!

Plants I got are 2 giant bolbitis, a heap of needle leaf Java fern and some fissidon moss.

Just need to order 3 varietys of stems, anubias nana petite, lobelia cardinals and I'll be good to go with the Ada.

The Sooner I get my space back in this tank the better lol

Here's some pics of the shrimp and the new plants for the Ada http://pho.to/Aj6lo

Can't go wrong with Needle Leaf Java Fern. From what I've learned, and recently too, is that thinner-leaved Microsorum looks much better in smaller aquascapes than the wider-leaved varieties. Good pickup with the shrimp. I had some RCS for a while and they failed, but they should do well in your setup. This tank is TOTM worthy.

They are so cool dela. If you ever get the chance u should certainly get some! Or if down the track mine breed I can send you some if you like?

Agree'd fish! Needle leaf gives a great touch to nature and jungle scapes. I really like the look of the tank at the moment, it's a shame I'll be removing so much for the Ada but I think i should be able to split some plants up and have enough for both tanks :)

I don't know if it's TOTM worthy, people here have some really nice tanks! The shrimp seem really happy at the moment, I just need to remember to use water conditioner at water change (sometimes I forget) lol

Sitting around the tank relaxing tonight and watching the shrimp go to work. I could only see 2 out of 15 so hopefully they are buried in plants etc or they have been eaten lol.

Really liking the bolbitis in the back left corner, I think I'll remove the crypt balanese and keep some of the bolbitis there.

Third day of PPS pro and I'm getting a little bit of cupping of leaves but this could just be the plants getting used to the new fert routine. Hygro compacts new growth looks promising.

Due to the large amount of bolbitis and crypts in the corner I'm getting a fair bit of shade over the small stems that are transitioning at the back. Really need to thin it out but it's only for a few weeks.

Another week or 2 and I'll need to push the lighting abit more as the lover leaves on the right side are now starting to get shaded and will begin to die and fall off if I don't.

Just need the left side to take off and it will be looking great!

Evening shot http://pho.to/AjFC6

I was expecting a half-planted tank but that looks great! Honestly, maybe we are over fussy on here.

Thanks dela :) I can't wait for it to grow out. The transitioning stems are taking their sweet time but I think they will turn the corner soon. They have some amazing colour to add the to scape so I'm getting impatient haha. [emoji16]

I've got ludwigia tornado, ludwigia senegalensis, Hygrophila Guinea and ammania gracilis over the back :)

Looking good! Ludwigia "tornado" is an interesting plant. If I would have stuck with high lighting, it would've been a plant that I would've chased after.

Looking good! Ludwigia "tornado" is an interesting plant. If I would have stuck with high lighting, it would've been a plant that I would've chased after.

Yea it's pretty interesting! I think it will add a nice touch in the background. It will be mostly hidden but you'll be able to see an inch or 2 above the other stems :) it's growing slow at the moment as it's in the shade of the bolbitis untill next week [emoji106]

Sitting around the tank relaxing tonight and watching the shrimp go to work. I could only see 2 out of 15 so hopefully they are buried in plants etc or they have been eaten lol.

Really liking the bolbitis in the back left corner, I think I'll remove the crypt balanese and keep some of the bolbitis there.

Third day of PPS pro and I'm getting a little bit of cupping of leaves but this could just be the plants getting used to the new fert routine. Hygro compacts new growth looks promising.

Due to the large amount of bolbitis and crypts in the corner I'm getting a fair bit of shade over the small stems that are transitioning at the back. Really need to thin it out but it's only for a few weeks.

Another week or 2 and I'll need to push the lighting abit more as the lover leaves on the right side are now starting to get shaded and will begin to die and fall off if I don't.

Just need the left side to take off and it will be looking great!

Evening shot http://pho.to/AjFC6
Very. Nice Bert . Tank is looking nice . Rcs are awesome you should how they in a shrimp only tank swimming all over the place it's awesome . I just posted a update not good lol

Well into week 2 of PPS pro, from what I've seen growth rate has increased abit (as if it wasn't fast enough) and overall health is looking good. Had some lead cupping to begin with but it seems to be working itself out. I've put it down to the plants adjusting to the new fert routine.

The sassifolia is going ballistic, I cut them down and more are already at the surface.

Hygro polysperma and sunset seem to be abit slower growing but a few stems are almost at the surface so I think a few more weeks and it will be ready for a trim. I removed a few stems to make room for some more sassifolia.

The blue stricta over the back seems to be focusing on growing new leaves rather than gaining height... Rather frustrating as I want this to be almost at the water surface. Guess I'll have to be patient.
Would thinning out its leaves help at all?

Hygro compact was showing signs of potassium deficiency(pin holes in leaves) so I've made up a seperate bottle of K and I'm dosing 5ppm at water change. New growth looks promising.

The small stems over the back are really struggling still and arnt enjoying the shade of the bolbitis at all. Hopefully once I remove it they will come good.

Ludwigia had no idea what it's doing, throwing roots everywhere and growing a thousand side shoots. Also it's bending over rather than growing straight. I'll wait for the side shoots to get a good size and then I'll replant it.

I've seen 3 seperate shrimp out of 15 so I'm not sure if some died from the shock of a new environment or they have been eaten or if they are just hidden in the jungle somewhere but I saw one carrying eggs today so I'm hopeful [emoji106]

Lightings at 70% up from 60, everything's getting very thick so I've decided to push it abit more to keep lower leaves healthy.

3 days until the Ada build. It's going to be a good week [emoji106]

Happy planting!
http://pho.to/AjcBJ

Back
Top Bottom