Bert's ADA cube garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've pulled the trigger on an Ada cube garden. I've always wanted a "show tank" so I felt the ADA cube garden was the tank for me.

I still have to buy everything but I've just brought the tank and the substrate so it should be here next week or the week after.

Here's my plans:

Tank: ADA Cube garden 60x45x45cm (120l)

Substrate: ADA Amazonia aquasoil.

Filtration: Aqua one 750 or an eBay canister (not sure yet)

Co2: chihiros co2 regulator with 2.6kg bottle, upAqua inline diffuser.

Lighting: chihiros A series with light stand

Hardscape: seyiu stone, driftwood

Plants: crypt wendtii, crypt walkeri, crested Java fern, Java fern, needle Java, AR mini, lobelia cardinals, hydrocotyle Japan, bylxa japonica, crispus (maybe), rotala bonsai, bacopa, anubias nana petite, weeping moss, Monte Carlo.

Plants list may change but I'm pretty happy with the choices and I think they will work in the layout I have planned.

Going for a nature scape. Vertical driftwood in the middle surrounded by rocks and then planted out all around to make it "pop".

Really looking forward to putting all this together. May even go for a more low tech approach and run no co2 and lower lighting.

Stay tuned!

Hey guys I've pulled the trigger on an Ada cube garden. I've always wanted a "show tank" so I felt the ADA cube garden was the tank for me.

I still have to buy everything but I've just brought the tank and the substrate so it should be here next week or the week after.

Here's my plans:

Tank: ADA Cube garden 60x45x45cm (120l)

Substrate: ADA Amazonia aquasoil.

Filtration: Aqua one 750 or an eBay canister (not sure yet)

Co2: chihiros co2 regulator with 2.6kg bottle, upAqua inline diffuser.

Lighting: chihiros A series with light stand

Hardscape: seyiu stone, driftwood

Plants: crypt wendtii, crypt walkeri, crested Java fern, Java fern, needle Java, AR mini, lobelia cardinals, hydrocotyle Japan, bylxa japonica, crispus (maybe), rotala bonsai, bacopa, anubias nana petite, weeping moss, Monte Carlo.

Plants list may change but I'm pretty happy with the choices and I think they will work in the layout I have planned.

Going for a nature scape. Vertical driftwood in the middle surrounded by rocks and then planted out all around to make it "pop".

Really looking forward to putting all this together. May even go for a more low tech approach and run no co2 and lower lighting.

Stay tuned!
Very nice Bert I had a Ada mini m was just to small for me

I look forward to seeing the progress! That's a nice list of plants. Check out my thread to see the Java Fern later this upcoming week. It may give you additional ideas if you ever want to alter the Microsorum stock. You'll be trimming those ferns often in this setup, and they'll be pearling like crazy! [emoji6]

I look forward to seeing the progress! That's a nice list of plants. Check out my thread to see the Java Fern later this upcoming week. It may give you additional ideas if you ever want to alter the Microsorum stock. You'll be trimming those ferns often in this setup, and they'll be pearling like crazy! [emoji6]

Thanks fish and KK :) yea I was considering getting trident Java aswell and focusing mainly on ferns but then I couldn't resist some of the other plants lol also I've already got a lot of plants on hand in my 60g Dutch so I'll be using clippings from that too :) I've never really had much to do with trimming javas or growing them in general lol looking to further my skills ;)

I'm a follower of your thread so I'll be sure to check it out :)

First package arrived today! 3 bags of Ada Amazonia [emoji106] hoping the tank isn't far behind it as they were sent at the same time. I'm getting excited already [emoji16]

http://pho.to/AhQ4l

Awesomeness can't wait to see the new set up what light did you get for it the aquasky from ada

I was considering an aquasky or a chihiros a series but I've decided to be a tight @$$ and use the 2 60cm Makemyled tubes I have on the 60g. I'll just be running 2 tubes on the 60 instead of the 3 I currently use. Can't see it being much of an issue as 2 tubes are ment to give 45cm spread and the tanks 45cm lol. May need to bump the intensity abit but we will see I guess ;)

Ordered a wifi controller and the clear brackets for the tubes so I can control the lighting with my phone :)

I was considering an aquasky or a chihiros a series but I've decided to be a tight @$$ and use the 2 60cm Makemyled tubes I have on the 60g. I'll just be running 2 tubes on the 60 instead of the 3 I currently use. Can't see it being much of an issue as 2 tubes are ment to give 45cm spread and the tanks 45cm lol. May need to bump the intensity abit but we will see I guess ;)

Ordered a wifi controller and the clear brackets for the tubes so I can control the lighting with my phone :)
Nice excited to see it to new build . Any ideas on the scape

Yeah I've got a few images in my head but not sure what I'll go with. I've been trying to find the right bits of driftwood but so far it's been very difficult lol found a few nice pieces yesterday but I need the tank to know where to trim them ;)

Put together a mock up of the hardscape im thinking of doing, plant list has changed a fair bit. But I'll re assess that when I actually do the plant order ;) going for a nature theme and I think something like this has a real potential if I choose my plants carefully. Weeping moss and bolbitus is a must I'd say!

Here's a pic of the mock up I did in the old 30g I have (new tank is 12cm wider tho so I'll have more room to get a bit more depth!

http://pho.to/AhUEQ

Put together a mock up of the hardscape im thinking of doing, plant list has changed a fair bit. But I'll re assess that when I actually do the plant order ;) going for a nature theme and I think something like this has a real potential if I choose my plants carefully. Weeping moss and bolbitus is a must I'd say!

Here's a pic of the mock up I did in the old 30g I have (new tank is 12cm wider tho so I'll have more room to get a bit more depth!

http://pho.to/AhUEQ
Looks nice for first attempt :) my staur repens started melting the other day an my tank doesn't look so good moved some stuff around lol

Looks nice for first attempt :) my staur repens started melting the other day an my tank doesn't look so good moved some stuff around lol

I'm sure it will all bounce back :) I'll have to sus it out, have u posted any new pics?

No lol not recent ones I feel ashamed I messed with plants an moved some around :(

Ahh it's all good! We all have bad moments ;) look at my 60g I'm on my 3rd attempt lol I destroyed that tank through experimentation lol

Ahh it's all good! We all have bad moments ;) look at my 60g I'm on my 3rd attempt lol I destroyed that tank through experimentation lol
Ur right about that brotha . I'll post some pics in a few . The blyxa was just taking over the scape couldn't see the rocks etc . So gave some away an moved the blyxa to the sp. Japan was at an the sp. Japan where the blyxa was

Had a free day so I made a start on the stand, using 100% recycled timber again. Cladding is old wooden pallets I got from my uncles warehouse and the frame is pine and oak cut off an old bed base.

Just need to make the door, fill in the sides and adhesive a foam mat to the top for support under the tank.

Hopefully get it finished tomorrow after work then it's ready for a quick sanding and stain! [emoji106]

Hoping the 60x45x45cm tank is external measurements or I might have to get out the router to make it fit lol.

Total stand cost $44 (cost of decorative hinges and handle)

Pic so far http://pho.to/Ahg1Q

That's looking good! What sort of stain colour will you use?

I've got a can of walnut stain left over from reno's so I'll most likely use that. [emoji106] the saw marks left in the timber will go almost black so it will give that "old" timber look [emoji16]

Stands all finished! Came up really nice, I'm very happy with it! [emoji16]

Total build time was 8 hours and final cost was $44. It certainly pays to recycle people!

Here's a final pic [emoji106] http://pho.to/AhjSg

Tank should be here this week but I still need to get a filter and a co2 setup so a few weeks before I can fully set it up!

More plants in the mail to grow out in the 60g, should be full steam ahead once I get the co2 [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom