Best coral food and procedure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Figured I'd start up a thread to see what everyone else feeds their corals. My tank consists mostly of LPS and zoanthods. I do have a couple mushrooms and one SPS (green horn coral frag) that I got to see if I could take care of it. So far so good. I used to use coral frenzy but switched to reef chilly. The reason for the switch was the LFS I deal with recommended it more and I get a good deal on it. Besides the reef chilly I use frozen prawn roe. I turn all pumps off and target feed each with a baster. I also dose with aquavitro fuel 20 minutes before feeding. I've had good results since I've done this. I feed corals twice a week.

Please comment and share what you use and what you have learned with coral feeding. Thanks.

I don't feed my corals anything....... I may spot feed my acan, trumpet, and palys a few mysis once or twice a month, but that's it. IMO, attempting to feed corals twice a week is going to do nothing but crank up your phosphates.

I don't feed mine I got told I don't need to I have a torch a hammer coral 2 morphs and a plate coral I also got this one but I don't know the name of it

Attachments

• image-567625483.jpg
    image-567625483.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 113
I feed my LPS Reef Chili or mysis shrimp once a week. SPS get fed Oyster Feast once a week as well. I feed my corals during the day which is contradictory to most people's belief, but the corals have responded well and my fish go after any free floating Reef Chili so it's a win win for me.

I feed mine minsed shrimp and cyclops 2-3 times a week. I also use essential elements once a week. So far I have had no problems corals are growing great. Water stays good but I also do weekly water changes.

I don't feed mine I got told I don't need to I have a torch a hammer coral 2 morphs and a plate coral I also got this one but I don't know the name of it

I would feed the plate a piece of fish or shrimp once a week or two. You will have to guard it until he gets it in. They really do need it.

Thanks for all the responses! I haven't had a problem with phosphates so I will continue feeding my tank (fish & corals) twice a week. I would feed that plate too. Every now and again ill feed my open brain half of a shrimp. If they have a mouth that big its for a reason.

I have not fed mine in over 15 yrs. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. Most of my corals have been with me since day one.

That's amazing. I imagine it is a very well established tank. Do you dose anything at all? What kind of salt do you use?

So just feed the plate? Just cut up a bit of shrimp big enough to fit in its mouth?

Yeah I feed mine silverside just set it near its mouth and it will open up and work it in. I have to guard mine the cleaner shrimp is very persistent on stealing the food.

I used to feed but stop when I had a phosphate issue. I have noticed the best growth and color by dosing: alk, mag, and calcium. Now that I have locked that in, everything seems to be responding well. I do weekly water changes, but for some reason it wasn't enough to keep my minerals up.

I only have 2 small yellow tail damsels in my tank so hopefully they shouldn't steal it's food should I just get bait from a fishing store to use as food?

You could. Shrimp pellet or anything a little smaller than its mouth.

That's amazing. I imagine it is a very well established tank. Do you dose anything at all? What kind of salt do you use?

15 yr old tank. I dont do any supplements. I use Oceanic salt mix. You can see my tank if you click on the link below.

I've seem it on another thread of yours. It looks healthy. That purple brain is something else!

I feed my corals ....coral frenzy! It's like crack for corals everything opens up (major polyp extension

Back
Top Bottom