Best energetic fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masquinongy69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm new to the aquarist lifestyle ... I started out being given fish (well for my daughter) ... Had 2 black skirt tetra and 2 orange platy (black fin). The Platy's hide most of the time. The tetra's kind of float around the tank. My daughters and I picked up 2 black and 2 dalmation mollies last night ... These things are great ! They are all over the tank ... playing ... riding up the bubbles ...chasing each other. I compare them to Labrador puppies !

So my question is ... what other fish are similar in that they have a lot of energy, play around, and are really active and fun to watch ? I found myself watching the mollies for much longer than I should have ... lol !

If you up the school size of your Tetra they get pretty active. They are a schooling fish....6 or more. You could get more mollies as well depending on tank size.

I do not know the tank size so I cannot give good recommendations for it. But in general a fish that I really liked that was active is the hatchet or Harlequin Rasbora. Get a nice little school of them and they will constantly be swimming back and forth through the tank.

Sorry - got excited ... I have a newly set up 55gal I just got my SunSun304B canister and am breaking it in ... I should leave the HOB running until the canister is seeded with the bacteria, correct ? Boy those 2 make a lot of current in the tank ! I'll end up jamming more filter pads in the canister to slow it down a tad.

White cloud minnows and zebra or leopard danios are super active constantly chasing each other and "playing". Very small fish also so you can have a pretty good sized school of them.

Also meant to state that white clouds are colder water fish. Temps of 65-72.

Last edited:
A big, fast, constantly active tetra is the Buenos Aires Tetra. All of the Danio varieties are active swimmers.

Hi,

I'm new to the aquarist lifestyle ... I started out being given fish (well for my daughter) ... Had 2 black skirt tetra and 2 orange platy (black fin). The Platy's hide most of the time. The tetra's kind of float around the tank. My daughters and I picked up 2 black and 2 dalmation mollies last night ... These things are great ! They are all over the tank ... playing ... riding up the bubbles ...chasing each other. I compare them to Labrador puppies !

So my question is ... what other fish are similar in that they have a lot of energy, play around, and are really active and fun to watch ? I found myself watching the mollies for much longer than I should have ... lol !

One of my favorite fish that would be good in a 55g is a Dojo loach. My son and I pet our lightly and he gives us littler kisses as well.

Back
Top Bottom