best filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank in the making and im wondering what the best filter or type of filter for it. It will have 2 black moors for breeding with driftwood and a sand substrate if anyone knows please reply =)

Tank Filtration

I have a 55 gallon tank in the making and im wondering what the best filter or type of filter for it. It will have 2 black moors for breeding with driftwood and a sand substrate if anyone knows please reply =)

Hello lome...

I use Hagen filters that hang on the back of the tank. They're easy to install and maintain. I do large, weekly water changes, so one AC50 is plenty for my 55 gallon tank. Some will use two filters set at opposite sides of the tank. One filter is roughly $40.00.

B

I would walk past the 350 and buy an aqua clear 110 if your only going to be running a single filter on a budget.

Canisters would be a first choice of filtration with afew manufacturers leading in my opinion, Eheim being my first choice followed by Fluval. The 2217 or the 406 spring to mind.

Come and see the forum if youre at your computer. :) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser!

Last edited:
Ive decided on the hagen aquaclear filters but im wondering if i could use one aquaclear 70 or would it be better to split it between an aquaclear 50 and an aquaclear 20. I will also be making a diy canister filter with either a large diamiter pvc or a 5 gallon bucket

I would opt for 70 or 110 and another 70 if your going with two filters for a 55g with goldfish. 800gph is the least I run on my 55's (most are over 1000 between powerheads/wavemakers and filters). Skip the driftwood if you have hopes of eventually breeding or you will wind up with injured fish when they start becoming amorous. Live or silk plants are a better option if your seeking décor. :)

I was thinking finding some peices and rounding anything off or removing it during their mating season also is sand a good substrait for breeding?

Sand is fine for appearance. When dealing with breeding/eggs, you honestly do not want anything in the tank other than something for the female to lay eggs on such as a breeding mop or easily removed plants. No guarantee they will use either. You will honestly never see the eggs on sand- they are not much larger than a grain of sand and they stick like glue. :)

If you want them to survive to even hatching stage, they have to be removed or the adults have to be removed. The adults will clean up any eggs within two days otherwise. If any eggs survive to hatching, the fry will be eaten by the adults quite quickly. The eggs really need to be kept in a heavily oxygenated place and addressing fungus may also be necessary. Removing a breeding mop or plants with eggs makes the process quite a bit easier. Goldfish are equal opportunity cannibals in this case. :)

Really? Hmm would a 20 gallon be good for the eggs? Or if I place some thick vegetation on one side so they may hide?

20gallons would be ok for so long. I really doubt they would be able to hide unfortunatly, they would aimlessly swim around making them sitting ducks or fish in this case.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser! :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Hmm alright ill just keep the eggs in my 20 gal it'll be empty anyways what would I need to feed them?

20g will work for eggs and fry very short term with a manageable number. I use a 20g long that has been running for years and is densely planted as a 'survive the first week' fry tank. There's tons of micro-organisms and algae to help fry (in addition to feedings) get a good head start on life. Three to four weeks is the max they stay there before being moved elsewhere or culled.

I think ill make a divider for the 55 then and separate the parents until the fry are old enough

Back
Top Bottom