Best glass algae cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that my tank is starting to get balanced again, the algae on plants is starting to dissipate, but I want something to keep the algae down on my glass. What's the best thing to have, snails, Otos? I already have a pleco but it doesn't eat the algae on the glass.

Now that my tank is starting to get balanced again, the algae on plants is starting to dissipate, but I want something to keep the algae down on my glass. What's the best thing to have, snails, Otos? I already have a pleco but it doesn't eat the algae on the glass.

Easiest way is a razor blade/ scraper. You'll have to do the glass manually 9/10 times. Most tanks tend to get abit of GSA here and there on the glass and fish generally don't touch it [emoji106]

I use an algae magnet for most of the glass surfaces. Near the substrate I use an old credit card. Using an algae magnet or pad too close to the substrate runs the risk of picking up granules and scratching the glass.

I use an algae magnet for most of the glass surfaces. Near the substrate I use an old credit card. Using an algae magnet or pad too close to the substrate runs the risk of picking up granules and scratching the glass.

I bought an algae magnet but I didn't even take off any of the algae.

I bought an algae magnet but I didn't even take off any of the algae.

Use an algae scrubber instead. Maybe something such as this: http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27862

Once your tank balances with lighting, fertilizers, CO2, and plant growth, you'll see a reduction of algae on the glass. It'll always be there, but there will just be less of it. Weekly scrubbing on the glass, at least the front pane, will allow for better viewing and make for a nicer appearance overall.

Use an algae scrubber instead. Maybe something such as this: http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27862

Once your tank balances with lighting, fertilizers, CO2, and plant growth, you'll see a reduction of algae on the glass. It'll always be there, but there will just be less of it. Weekly scrubbing on the glass, at least the front pane, will allow for better viewing and make for a nicer appearance overall.

I don't know about anyone else but the algae I get on my glass is super hard. Algae scrubbers don't even get it off.

I don't know about anyone else but the algae I get on my glass is super hard. Algae scrubbers don't even get it off.

Credit card or an aluminium scraper will work. Sticker scraper etc. just make sure your flat or it will scratch the tank [emoji106] put some elbow grease into it [emoji16]

I find that if periodically attended to, algae is easier to remove from the glass. If allowed to settle in, GSA (green spot algae) is very difficult to remove. If the credit card does not work, then I will grab the magnet cleaner (the one in the water) and scrub the glass by hand.

I find that if periodically attended to, algae is easier to remove from the glass. If allowed to settle in, GSA (green spot algae) is very difficult to remove. If the credit card does not work, then I will grab the magnet cleaner (the one in the water) and scrub the glass by hand.

What is the best snail/fish for GSA?

One if the only things that seems to eat hard GSA is nerite snails, but they only eat it in little trails, not very effective. I have nerite snails but the best way to clean hard GSA off the glass is with scraper blades like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R5LZGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1Z1izb35JMQM0
You can buy a handle to hold them but it's not really necessary. I've bought cheaper scraper blades before that turned out to not be straight.

I found the Mr. CLEAN Magic Eraser to work beautifully. Make sure you only get the original with no added bleaches or scents. I've been using them for a while with no effect on my fish, plants, or water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom