Best way to change substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have rocks and a few plants on them....I would like to go to sand....partly since I have a new mystery fish that I think may be a black striped loach (long story there).

Whats the best way to take out the rocks and add sand? without harming the fish.

my current animals: African Clawed frog (baby)--Bristlenose Pleco--Upsidedown Cat--Striped Loach?.....snails that are quickly becoming food.

srry no pics at the moment..long story there.

That will be a fun project if you own a large tank. Here are a few options:

(a)If the tank is a decent size, you may be able to do a water change and remove most of the gravel with a wet/dry vac at the same time. Just be careful about what you are sucking up.

(b)Use a colander/pasta strainer and scoop up the gravel. At least then you won't lose as much water.

(c)Before you do some of the above options, maybe fill up a large container with some of your aquarium water and fill it with the aquarium residents that you are worried about. Add in a little Stress Coat to help out with the whole move.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom