Best Way to Clean a Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My neighbor is giving me her old 20 gallon tank as payment for helping her wax her boat, but it's all dirty and gross. What's the best way to clean it before I start to cycle it?

Warm water, vinegar, or bleach solution. Just rinse very well and let dry regardless of which method you choose. Congrats on the new tank!

Water to take off all the loose stuff. If there is hard water buildup, then follow with pure vinegar ... might have to let it soak for a while for really hard deposits. <Soak paper towels with vinegar & lay on surface for vertical surfaces.> For really tough scales, you might have to resort to CLR.

Rinse well after all the vinegar/CLR treatment. Let dry to sterilize. <Some people use bleach, but for a tank that has not housed diseased fish, letting it dry is prob. enough.>

While you are at it, you might want to check the seams. If any silicone is loose, now is a good time to repair it. And test for leaks before bringing into the house!

I just found out that the only thing this tank held was a tarantula. I'm hoping that since it's never held water, the silicone will still be good!

EDIT: Also just found out that it's actually a 10 gallon instead of a 20.

Silicone dries out over time & cracks. So a dry tank is no guarantee. I would leak test & inspect the seams just in case.

Back
Top Bottom