Beta losing alot of scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilliam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When I first got Gilliam his color was white and his cup was full of crap and food. He really seemed to need my help. He was way behind all the other betas and he was flaring and seemed really freaked out so I took him home and put him in a 2.5 gal filtered tank he s color went from white to pink almost as soon as he started checking out his new home. I didn't really think he was missing scales at first until he lost a few more on his sides. Also notice the brown outlines on the scales near his head. What do you guys think? Parasites? He does swim a lot more and a lot faster than our other beta but he's 3. Please help me out Gilliam is in dire need your knowledge. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424925657596.jpg
    1424925657596.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1424925698923.jpg
    1424925698923.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 80
When I first got Gilliam his color was white and his cup was full of crap and food. He really seemed to need my help. He was way behind all the other betas and he was flaring and seemed really freaked out so I took him home and put him in a 2.5 gal filtered tank he s color went from white to pink almost as soon as he started checking out his new home. I didn't really think he was missing scales at first until he lost a few more on his sides. Also notice the brown outlines on the scales near his head. What do you guys think? Parasites? He does swim a lot more and a lot faster than our other beta but he's 3. Please help me out Gilliam is in dire need your knowledge. Thanks guys.

Please answer the basic questions from the 'before you post sticky' that will help people answer

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Male beta losing lots of scales.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Need test kit N/A
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
2.5 gal about a week.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Not sure its the filter that came with nat geo half moon aqua oasis
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? One male beta pretty small I guess see pics
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Today 50 percent so far once a week
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had him about a week. Put him in is spare tanked used mainly for aquatic plants while the one he's in now sat for a few days with filter running.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed him frozen brine, freeze dried bloodworms,and beta pellets. The brine and worms are more like treats I guess.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Male beta losing lots of scales.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Need test kit N/A
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
2.5 gal about a week.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Not sure its the filter that came with nat geo half moon aqua oasis
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? One male beta pretty small I guess see pics
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Today 50 percent so far once a week
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had him about a week. Put him in is spare tanked used mainly for aquatic plants while the one he's in now sat for a few days with filter running.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed him frozen brine, freeze dried bloodworms,and beta pellets. The brine and worms are more like treats I guess.

New tank with no test kit. I'd bet anything you're still cycling, which can cause all sorts of problems. Get that test kit or at the least have a pet store test the water to see if that's contributing to the problem.

Sitting for a few days running empty won't cycle a tank

OK thanks for the tips. The tank maybe cycled now I'll see if I can test it. He's been missing scales since the day I got him though making me think he has some sort of nasty scaby like thing but for fish.

OK thanks for the tips. The tank maybe cycled now I'll see if I can test it. He's been missing scales since the day I got him though making me think he has some sort of nasty scaby like thing but for fish.

He was certainly under ammonia/nitrite stress when you got him in the conditions you described. Since you have another betta I'm sure you know what a difference some extra water changes can do for them. It may take him a while to heal up from the ammonia puddle that was that cup in the pet store!

Oh and be sure not to overfeed. Since it's a new tank and probably cycling, that can contribute to the problem. I'd feed no more than once a day 1-2 pellets.

They don't need as much food as people think, particularly when the tank is just getting up and running, clean water is way more important.

Thanks so much this my first fish so I still got alot to learn. I was wondering bus there anything to watch out for that maybe the start of infection or parasites?

Thanks so much this my first fish so I still got alot to learn. I was wondering bus there anything to watch out for that maybe the start of infection or parasites?

Anything like flashing or changes in appetite/ behavior can be a warning that he's getting sick or the water parameters are not so good.

Have you been able to test your water yet... You'll want to keep testing for ammonia and nitrite and doing water changes until you are regularly reading 0.

I think he's getting better. Did a 50% WC yesterday and this evening I notice d his tail which was tranperant white almost like he was in his jar is now turning blue and red like his anal fin. Is this his way of telling me I'm doing something right?

I think he's getting better. Did a 50% WC yesterday and this evening I notice d his tail which was tranperant white almost like he was in his jar is now turning blue and red like his anal fin. Is this his way of telling me I'm doing something right?

Sounds like it. Glad he seems a little better.

Probably want to keep doing those 50% water changes every other day or so at least until you can confirm that everything is all right with a water test. I'm doing that right now for a betta with fin rot. I think he tore his tail on some decor and he looked pretty bad for a while. Really for stuff like this often there is nothing better to do than those water changes

Right on thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom