Betta acting funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver1982

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my male betta Friday. He swam around seemed happy , but never ate. I changed his water Sunday, he did fine, still didnt eat. I changed the water again today and now he's staying at the top of the tank head up fins down just floating there. Then he'll swim around a minute and do the same thing then go to the bottom and just kinda hover there motionless. It was a gift for my daughter and I dont have the money right now to get any of the tests kits to test his tank but Ive put the Prime drops in his tank both times Ive changed it. Is he sick?? Dying?? Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated. Ive never taken care of fish before

bettas are usually one of the pickiest eaters, depending on where you got the betta from, they may have fed him flake food for the first 6 months( average age of how old they are when they arrive at lfs) and usually they get accustomed to eating what you feed them. but having a betta in a little bowl isnt a life for a fish. a minimum 5 gallons for a betta, some people prefer 10. but i have a feeling hes just not used to eating what youre offering, give him time.

You could try some different foods, I know they have foods specifically for Bettas, you might try some of those.

Is the tank heated? What size is it? Does it have a filter? A filter and heater are a must for most fish including Bettas.

Also if the tank is new and the fish is new, you're cycling. I would change out 50% of the water every day, not just every few days. Try to get a test kit as soon as you can and if you can upgrade him to a 5 gal tank (with filter and heater if it doesn't already have those) that would help a lot too. Here's an article that might help as well: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Good luck.

What I've found over the years when introducing betta's to a new environement, is that they take a while to settle in. I've had betta's that will eat from the second I put them in the tank to others that have taken weeks to start eating, complete nightmare!

Also another reason some betta's may appear to act weird or sick, is if there is lack of heat. Do you have a heater? Imo, heat is the most important thing that you will need in its tank as lack of heat can often be the cause of many diseases and infections and since their tropical fish, colder waters below....75f - I think, weakens the betta's immune system.

Another thing I can think of is.... If your betta is hanging around at the surface - you didn't mention if he was gasping, this could mean that he's trying to get oxygen, so maybe, if you don't already have it, a filter or air stone may help :)

Hope he gets better and good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom