Betta and Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 5 gallon aquarium on my desk at work. I think I have decided to put a male betta in there (maybe divide the tank and do 2? Thoughts?). I was thinking of putting a few ghost shrimp in there first. I read the shrimp are less likely to be eaten if they are there before the betta sets up his territory. How many shrimp could I put in there and do you see any issues in the future?

The tank is gravel. Its planted with anacharis and anubias. Has a couple smallish flower pots in it. Filtered and heated. I dont know if any of this matters for shrimp.

I think the shrimp will do fine as long as they have enought hiding spots!!! and I wouldn't put two in the tank incase one jumps the divider at night and you aren't there to stop them from hurting or even killing each other...

I wouldn't divide a tank that small personally. I'd also only add one ghost shrimp since they can get big and actually get aggressive with other Ghosties in the tank. The little pots would probably be good for the shrimp because it all depends on the Betta's temperment whether it will attack the shrimp or not.

I have never heard of ghost shrimp being agressive and they are just the right size for a 5g I plan on putting 7-8 in my betta tank as soon as it is fully running

I've been keeping them off and on for over 30 years and can tell you from expierence that Ghosties are fine when small but once they get some size on them often the largest one (and I've had them get up to 2 inches) will slowly kill and eat the smaller tank mates. The thing with Ghosties is it isn't uncommon for other types of juvinelle shrimp and small prawns that look just like Ghosties to be mixed in when shipped from suppliers. You can try but don't be surprized if down the road they start disappearing.

Would there be a different type of shrimp that would stay smaller or be better with a betta? or some other cleaning organism?

Like rivercats said you can try it. I had about 30+/- in my 30 gallon. I just switched my 10 gallon betta tank from gravel to sand & decided to try out 3 ghost shrimp with Blaze. Well the 2 larger ones are still there but I believe the little one got eaten or he's hiding out in the decorations. More than likely eaten as I only have a Buddha & a temple in there & I switched them tonight & still no sign of the 3rd shrimp.

You could find one of the vary decorative tiger nerite snails or maybe 3 horned (some call them spiney) nerites. They don't have long antenna so betta don't tend to target them like larger snails with long wavy antenna. I'm afraid smaller shrimp would definitely be a snack. Some people say their Betta's leave adult Red Cherry Shrimp alone but babies are food items. It will mostly depend on the Betta's temperment.

Back
Top Bottom