Betta biting tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimkat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night, I added a second filter to the betta tank. The current the two produced probably stressed him out because when I woke up, I found that he lost huge chunk of tail. (I believe he chewed it off) I immediately removed the second filter and dissolved a table spoon of aquarium salt for fear of later fin rot.

Should I keep doing salt or should I add melafix/bettafix? I'm getting mixed opinions. Some people are saying not to add salt or melafix at all if he's not showing symptoms of fin rot yet.

It'll grow back right? Does anyone know how long it'll take?

Some points:
-he doesn't have any tankmates, 5 gallon all to himself
-there are only live plants in his tank (anubias/java fern/hornwort and another rooted plant I don't know the name of)
-he was fine the night of
-tank is kept a constant 82 degrees
-water parameters are fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just do some regular water changes. It will help his fin growth. That's the tricky part with bettas is they can't stand a bunch of water flow in their tank.

Caleb

I'm basically know as a huge advocate for melafix and stress coat plus on this website. I've healed numerous bettas with torn fins and finrot with daily doses of either melafix or stress coat plus for a week and their fins are back and beautiful. I strongly suggest either. Here's a before and after on my new guy, Burnie. Good luck with your little guy!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432160460.028835.jpg

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

I'm basically know as a huge advocate for melafix and stress coat plus on this website. I've healed numerous bettas with torn fins and finrot with daily doses of either melafix or stress coat plus for a week and their fins are back and beautiful. I strongly suggest either. Here's a before and after on my new guy, Burnie. Good luck with your little guy!View attachment 272588

I love burnie and his volcano! :)

Caleb

Wow, that's one beautiful betta! Thank you both! I'll get some melafix later.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432178501.101648.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432178590.684199.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432178689.905065.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432178827.612793.jpg
One more quick question, does this look like fin rot to you? If you look closely, there's some red on the ends where it's chewed off. Not sure if this is supposed to be normal.

That honestly looks like it got stuck in the filter valve for a bit of time and he fought it off. Look in your filter media for the bit of tail. You might need to do a week of melafix, then a week break and then another week. That's a pretty deep damage. Best of luck! :)

That honestly looks like it got stuck in the filter valve for a bit of time and he fought it off. Look in your filter media for the bit of tail. You might need to do a week of melafix, then a week break and then another week. That's a pretty deep damage. Best of luck! :)

Both of them are sponge filters so I can't imagine it getting sucked in unless he got stuck at a specific angle.

Thank you for your input though, I'll do that!

Back
Top Bottom