Betta breeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Totally new to betta breeding. I would like to give it a shot in the near future. Have been doing a little bit of research online but still have questions.
I have a mustard gas halfmoon male and a blue veiltail female. Are these compatible- if so, what kind of tails/colors would I expect to see on the fry?
They are living in my community tank- so have already been introduced to each other. I do have a 10 gallon that I would use for the breeding tank. Since they have already been living in my community (with no signs of breeding)- would they be okay for me to pop in the 10 gallon together for breeding? Or is that a disaster waiting to happen? They get along fine with each other now. Male will chase the female a tiny bit now and then but other than that they don't interact much.
Again, totally totally new and just have some questions before I think about getting started. Don't grill me too bad. :oops:

I don’t know much about betta breeding either but I’m also going to try it out in the next month or so, but I don’t see why the bettas wouldn’t do well in the ten gallon tank??*♀️ I mean the female would have room to swim away from the male if needed and I’ve seen people breed bettas in literally like a one gallon tank and it worked well. Again I have never even tried to breed betta fish I’ve just been researching it a lot lately because I want to try it out.

They are aggressive so you gonna need to split the males up afterwards.

Can you keep two male bettas together?

Never put multiple males in the same tank; they will fight each other to the death. One male and one female betta can be put together for breeding purposes, but only for a brief amount of time as they will also begin fighting.

Are you prepared to go full out with a fry rack?!?

Yep definitely know males cant be together. I have my male and female living "together" in my community and so far its been fine. I did read once they've done their thing in the breeding tank I have to take the female out. I think I can pull it off.... Not ready for a full on fry rack but how cool!!! :lol:

Totally new to betta breeding. I would like to give it a shot in the near future. Have been doing a little bit of research online but still have questions.

I have a mustard gas halfmoon male and a blue veiltail female. Are these compatible- if so, what kind of tails/colors would I expect to see on the fry?

They are living in my community tank- so have already been introduced to each other. I do have a 10 gallon that I would use for the breeding tank. Since they have already been living in my community (with no signs of breeding)- would they be okay for me to pop in the 10 gallon together for breeding? Or is that a disaster waiting to happen? They get along fine with each other now. Male will chase the female a tiny bit now and then but other than that they don't interact much.

Again, totally totally new and just have some questions before I think about getting started. Don't grill me too bad. :oops:

I have read that it is better to separate them to the “breeding” tank then after they breed remove the female after she poops out eggs and then after multiple rounds is exhausted... and then the male will take care of the bubble nest and eggs and then just patience...I’m a noob too though [emoji15][emoji851]?[emoji40][emoji851][emoji851]

Back
Top Bottom