Betta constipation or Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rikki101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

Have had my little fish for about 5 months and the last couple weeks he's started to loose his colour and I noticed his tummy getting big so I thought he was getting fat and really cut down on his feeding (I think we were over feeding - it's hard to tell because my 5 year old twins sometimes want to sneak in extra) I have had him fasted 1 day a week. 2 days a go he really started acting strangely laying on the bottom of the tanks and not moving when I came to see him. He's very pale and lethargic. I thought he was constipated so I feed him a pea yesterday. He doesn't seem to be getting better. Could it be Dropsy? He has no pineconing that I can tell and he still swims fine he's just wants to hide all day and his fins are so sad a droopy. He's tanks is 4 gallons and 78 degrees. I change his water 25% every week and the water parameters are all normal. I feel awful and I don't know what to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I have attached to photos one from the top and one from the profile.
img_3343591_0_761950d17441d1d094b4aecfef30a420.jpg
img_3343591_1_9b4f02342f865bd8a2312f56f62ac8c2.jpg

That is sad news. I can't see any pine-coning or ruffling of the scales either but his belly did seem a bit big compared to what I have seen. The link below may help.

I would try epsom salts and replace his food if it might be a bit old or got water on it.

After that I'd try a medicated fish food for bacterial infections.

Fish Bloat, Diagnoses and Treatment

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom