Betta Fin rot keeps returning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jo060

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a Betta a little over a month ago that began to show signs of fin rot within the 2nd day of having him. He became very lethargic, always hid, never ate, and had small white dots at the tip of his fin. His fin was becoming smaller by the minute (it seemed). I purchased Bettafix which seemed to clear up the issue within a week. He began to eat, was very active, and his fins began to grow back. I used the medication a little longer than it told me to do so. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Until this morning when I woke up. The betta was hiding again (which is not like him since medication). I was able to coax him out of his hiding place and noticed a small white dot forming on his fin again.

What is causing this to come back for a 2nd time?
While medicating, I did daily water changes. All the water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrate/trite) are 0's across the board.

He is in a 3 gallon tank

Thanks

does your tank have a heater?
if not, your betta may be getting ich?
if you do have a heater, i have no idea whats going on :(
sorry to not be more of help.

A heater isn't a for sure way to prevent Ich.

Are you running a filter? Fin rot is usally caused by bad water

Thanks for the replies.

Not a petco fish.
There is a heater, the water is consistently 76.
The fish is all black but I don't see any signs of white or discoloration on his body. Just on the tips of his tail.

The tank is supposed to have an under gravel filter attached to a tube in the center of the tank. Inside of the tube is an airstone. Apparently it's supposed to filter that way...I don't believe it.

Back
Top Bottom