Betta Fish Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a red Betta fish who's not doing very well. He's being kept in a 2.5 gallon heated tank and has been doing very well there for years (I'm est 4 or 5 years). The water parameters are fine and nothing new has been added to his tank. He swims to the top of the tank just fine to breathe and he is still eating, but then he swims down to the bottom and just lays there, most of the time in a wierd arch. My other Betta who I've had just as long never does this. Is he sick, dying, or just being lazy? Not sure if I should give him any meds (Melafix?). Any ideas?

Dont just dose meds. Make sure you are 99.9% sure of what he has then dose. It could just be old age and he is tired. My grandparents dont run track anymore at 90 so...

prolly just lazy. all of my bettas like nestling into my plants and just "chill" If you don't have plants for them to chill in, i guess the bottom is the next best thing.

Dont just dose meds. Make sure you are 99.9% sure of what he has then dose. It could just be old age and he is tired. My grandparents dont run track anymore at 90 so...
Trust me I don't just dose meds. As a matter of fact, I hate using any chemicals on my fish at all. I was just looking for input from other people on what may be wrong. I am doing additional research online as well.

FastFly67 - Thanks, I do have plants in there as well as a cave that he normally goes in. It's just weird because my other Betta doesn't do this at all and this is new behavior from the one who is doing it. I guess maybe it is just old age, poor guy is pretty up there!

Could be just age.
Quote from Wikianswers:
"Normally, bettas live two to five years depending on how they are cared for"

Mine often are found just laying in funny positions either on the ground or more often in plants, near or behind the filter, sometimes I have to take the opposite end of the net and wiggle it near as I see no gill movement and I am terrified. Here lately they are staying at the top more. I have been keeping the light off 80% of the day and giving them 10% morning and night. They are a lot more active now.

My mom's Betta is about the same age and she says it lays around all day, but if this is new behavior, I'd be suspicous too. I'd be looking for other symptoms like clenched fins (won't or can't respond to a mirror), outward symptoms like spots or fuzz. In the meantime, I'd do water changes everyother day just to play it safe. It would be worth a try anyway.

When my Betta's get that old they do the same thing. They lay on the bottom looking uncomfortable but at that age they are probably near the end of their lives. Just keep up the excellent care with him and give him great retirement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom