Betta Fish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie1727

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I think my betta fish might be sick and I was hoping someone might be able to help me so I can figure out what route to take. His name is Little Ike. I got him at a party (he was part of the centerpiece at a table) about a week or so ago and so I'm not sure where he came from or anything and this is my first fish. He has some disscoloration on his head and I'm going to post a picture to show it. He moves around chasing his shadow a lot but then also is stationary too at times. He's been eating but just slowly. Hopefully someone can help me and thanks in advance!!
Angie

img_990901_0_d9ba27639fd94132be33d9b3846511f9.png

Yes I do.. It's off right now because he didn't like it and was having trouble swimming around it.

It's just an aqua-tech 5-15 power filter.. I'm not quite sure about your other question.. Sorry I'm new to this..

It came with the tank. I set up the tank, cleaned the water, then turned on the filter for a few hours before putting the Betta in the new tank. He didn't like it right away so I turned it off. Before that tank he was in a smaller one gallon that I got him in from the party without a filter. He looks the exact same as when I got him a little over a week ago and is still acting the same. I just don't know if it is some kind of desease on his head that is causing the coloration or something else.

A sponge filter, powered by an air pump, will be gentler than the filter you have. Using a gang valve on the airline will further reduce the air flowing through the sponge and also produce less turbulence.

Bettas often have brown, black, or maybe pale heads no matter what color they are. I think I read once that the genes that produce the color don't extend their influence all the way up through the head. Your betta is very pretty!

Bettas swim slowly, often rest on the bottom, and also chase their reflection if they can see it. This is all normal betta behavior. I feed 5 betta pellets a day. Soak the pellets in a cup of tank water for about 2 minutes before feeding - the pellets will swell up in the cup and not in the stomach. Freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms can be alternated with the pellets a few times a week.

I agree that you should read about the nitrogen cycle. Here's an article to get you started: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

You should buy test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is the brand that many of us use. Do a water change anytime the ammonia or nitrite reaches .25 ppm or higher.

Back
Top Bottom