Betta Fish - Sick / Unhealthy Or just lazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this same Betta fish for 2 and a half years now. When I got him he was small and didn't seem very energetic. To this day he is still small, and doesn't seem very energetic and he looks scrawny compared to other bettas I have had / have. I don't really think anything is wrong with him... but maybe there is. He looks underweight but bloated at the same time (Though not very bloated)

1~Crowntail Betta? Has been lazy since day one - swims around slowly, never flares, fins are never fully spread but are not clamped, looks scrawny
2~parameters (0ppm, 0ppm, 20ppm (my bad - has been cleaned since), temp 80 degrees,)
3~ Cycled Divided Ten Gallon Tank with two filters and a heater - it has been running for around three and a half years
4~ Whisper 10i filters X2
5~ I have two bettas in the tank, One Large Half Moon Male, and the crowntail male that I am making this thread for.
6~ I remove about 30% of the water biweekly (should be weekly - will be now that I have more time), I always gravel vac with every change. I also just changed my tank today (5/3/2013)
7~ I have had the fish for 2 and half years.
8~ I have not changed anything in the tank - but I did just get some Indian Almond Leaves to see if it helped him perk up at all.
9~ Omega Betta Pellets, Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp (Newish - just tried)

Any Ideas? I can get a photo if needed. Also I can't tell much on coloration as he is a black Crowntail (All black) he doesn't look pale...

Yes, photos will help alot. If he just started bloating up, you can try feeding him some de-skinned and crushed peas, or a little bit of frozen brine shrimp. The fibrous food will help dislodge the blockage from your fish. It's actually a good idea to feed them peas or brine shrimp once a week to keep everything moving along.

Other than that, it looks like you are doing well. Starting off with a good stock (in fish) is the key to fishkeeping success.

Yes, photos will help alot. If he just started bloating up, you can try feeding him some de-skinned and crushed peas, or a little bit of frozen brine shrimp. The fibrous food will help dislodge the blockage from your fish. It's actually a good idea to feed them peas or brine shrimp once a week to keep everything moving along.

Other than that, it looks like you are doing well. Starting off with a good stock (in fish) is the key to fishkeeping success.

Nah I think the bloating has been a gradual thing. Maybe I am just making him fat. Ha ha. Its not new, I just decided to dig into the issue now that I have had the time to do so! The mistake may have been buying a fish from Petco rather then a breeder or specialty shop.

If you've had him that long, it really probably isn't a health problem (I could always be wrong). Maybe he just came into the world that way, and that's how he is. Haha, I don't know. But it doesn't sound like a big problem to me. Good luck with the little fella!

I only have one beta, but since u said u have 2 betas in the same tank, do they each have their own territories? Maybe he doesn't feel safe enough to be super active and doesn't fan out? I have a Beta Exercise Ball to put in the tank only for 1 or 2 minutes at a time but it gets his attention and makes him fan out and exercise his whole beta bod lol I've had mine for about a year and a half. I also got him a beta hammock and he loves it. Have u tried using the exercise ball or adding in coverage in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom