Betta Harrasing Amano Shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayonnaise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so earlier today I set out to get a ghost shrimp as a tank mate for the Betta I've had for a little over a month. They didn't have any left at the shop, but recomended a shrimp they called Caridina japonica (Which I didn't know at the time was just another name for an Amano Shrimp.) Anyhow, I braught him home, turned out the lights in the room with the aquarium, and acclimated him to the water... he's been in there for just under an hour now, and every so often Lecococ, my male betta, trys to bite him. He hasn't managed to do it yet, nor has he spent all his time dong this. He only bothers when the shrimp swims to him. But I have to wonder, will the shrimp be able to keep jumping out of the way like this? Will the Betta eventualy loose interest? Will the shrimp Wise up and take advantage of the cover provided? Or will Tiddlywinks the Adventurer (my kid brother's name for the shrimp,) soon be Lecococ's Lunch?

8^S

Bettas are fish that can or cannot get along with tank mates. It is hard to say whether the shrimp will be ok or not. I have 3 tetras and 2 otos with my male and they are ok but I have heard of bettas going ape on tank mates. It is kinda a wait and see game!

I can't really help or anything, but Tiddlywinks the Adventurer is a great name. :biglol:

Well we went out to dinner... and now 2 hours later I still have a shrimp. I was prepared for the possibility that he might not be ok, and wasn't even gonna name him, but my brother got attatched pretty quick.

Speaking of my brother, Hypostomus, he says thank you for your complment on the name he thaught up.

I guess I just got alot more concerned about the fella when I found out I'd lucked into an Amano shrimp, when everything I've read on the web says they aren't widley avalable in the US. The girl who helped me in the store kept refering to them by thier scentifc name, so as I said before, I didn't know till after I got it home.

He seems to have wised up a bit, but I'm gonna leave the lights out till tomorow anyhow, just to make sure he finds all the good hiding places.

8^)

Back
Top Bottom