Betta not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllieBrown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been raising betta for awhile now and I've never run into this problem. I recently bought my boyfriend a betta from Petco. He seemed healthy. He was active, had healthy looking fins, and no signs of sickness or disease beyond the usual stress from the pet store containers. He is in a 1 gallon vase with regular aquarium rocks on the bottom and a peace Lilly floating on top. He has access to the surface to breathe. Now that he is settled in his tank he still shows no sign of stress or illness but he won't eat and has been really passive. I have tried flakes and pellets and he seems to take no interest in the food. This is his 4th day home. I have never had this issue so I'm not sure how to handle It and I am a bit concerned. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Hi, silly question perhaps since you have owned these before but is the tank cycled or are you changing the water? Temperature ok? Since it is his 4th day it does seem off but I can't think of anything else. Is he finding the food? I had my new fish must of been fed in the morning whereas I feed at night. Took about 5 days for them to convert over.

A lot of people on here will give you grief for not having a proper tank for a betta, however, I will say if you do do nothing else, get one of those little heaters for the betta. He will be much more active and vibrant and hopefully hungry when the temp is in the mid 70's. Another tip for a uncycled betta bowl, use a bare bottom, and get a turkey baster and such the poop off the bottom every day. great way to keep the water clean. The stuff that gets trapped in the gravel puts out a lot of toxins. If none of that works, look up "velvet" and check for that with a flashlight.

Thanks for your help! We have a small heater in with him and he is eating now. I was a bit worried when he told me he wanted to have it in a vase but he's been doing regular water checks and keeping the water safe so all is well.

Thanks for your help! We have a small heater in with him and he is eating now. I was a bit worried when he told me he wanted to have it in a vase but he's been doing regular water checks and keeping the water safe so all is well.

Awesome news!

Back
Top Bottom