Betta Owners it's Time to Show Off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, teh one that was in the jar jumped out to continue harassing the other one :x
I put in a tank divider that comes way out of the water.

Menagerie said:
Well, the one that was in the jar jumped out to continue harassing the other one
Wow...that's a mean fish 8O I hope the taller divider will settle the aggressive one down. I've seen several female bettas in a community tank. They may have their little squirmishes occasionally, but I've never heard of this. That's as aggressive as the males get! I hope it works out and you can keep them both.

Menagerie...I was just reading my June 2004 issue of Aquarium Fish magazine. I looked for the article online but couldn't find it. The July issue is online now. But I just got the September issue in the mail a few days ago! 8O

Anyway, the June issue had a little column about female bettas, and how aggressive they can be to each other. So I guess it's like we've been saying for the males. Some males may tolerate tankmates and be in a community tank, and some may not. It seems like some females can tolerate each other in a community tank, and some will not, to the point of attacking and fighting. How are the female bettas doing now?

Hi All... I am new here. When I saw this topic, I had to post! I am a Betta-holic :biglol: my 55G is a Community / BETTA tank. I have 12 females, 1 free swimming male, 1 male that is in a clear enclosure, 1 African brown knife, a couple of loaches, cories, etc. The felames are beautiful! Yes, they have skirmishes. If 2 females are put together, they will fight. In a larger community tank, where there is plenty of room, I haven't had a problem. In a smaller tank.... I have had problems. Also, when I add a new Male in the 55G, my girls end up with a few nips. (they are usually the ones that have a thing for the new male) The fins grow back. lol If I see that there is a serious fight, they will go to the hospital tank to heal. (I have a baby chocolate there now...... was too small for the 55G, and I should have known better! Got a side hit, but is doing beautifully in the Hospital tank)

I have found some of the prettiest females (believe it or not) at Walmart. I have 2 irredescent, 1 chocolate, 1 orange. I have found males, the harder to find colors also. (chocolate, irredescent) If I can figure out how to put pics here........

you upload the pics, then you push the img button. copy/paste the url of the picture. then push the img button again.

or you can just post the url and then they'll get there one way or another

I have had a female betta with Attitude in the past--she shredded a male and viscously killed some neon tetras. However, she was fine in a 29 gal community tank.
As for the two knot-heads I have now, I'm not sure what is going on. There are in a 2.5 gal because my 5 gal is occupied by a convict. I cut down a tank divider and put in diagonally across the tank since the clips were way too big for the little tank. They are finding ways to get around the divider. It's ridiculous. Sometimes they are on the same side, I move one and next thing I know they swapped sides!!. Their fins are not getting worse, which leads me to believe the tetras are the culprits. I may have to get a 5 gal for my office and keep them there, since I really cannot set up another tank due to an electrical outlet shortage and a shortage in my fiance's patience 8O

Funny about bettas being surface fish.. mine goes everywhere, I am working on getting something rigged so he has a spot to chill up high if he wants, but he loves swimming through a couple small tunnels I made with some lava rock in my tank. They maybe labyrinth fish for their little apparatus, but they seem to really like swimming inbetween things. Half the time instead of swimming inront of the heater or filter intake, he swims behind, and there isn't a whole stack of room for him to do this in either :?

but he loves the passages I created so I am going to buy a pile of tall stem plants and arrange them in my tank to make a nice maze for him to swim around in. Will also be better to add some more fish in too, just to make sure Mushu (betta) doesn't feel crowded. He is ok with his Minnows for now.
These are shotty webcam pics, my apologies :?

Untitled-13.jpg

Mushu chillin, couple of white clouds there...

Untitled-15.jpg

Mushu sneaking out of one of the crevices

Untitled-21.jpg

Mushu swimmin through another crevice type thing.

I had to physically separate the two knot-heads. One is in a 3 quart tupperware covered in cheese cloth in the 5 gal with a convict cichlid. The convict colored right up to see another fish in the tank. There maybe a new tank in my future in my office :roll:

Back
Top Bottom