Betta / Siamese Fighting Fish Fin rot - what to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinkster87

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the title suggests Im pretty sure my Betta has tail rot, I have brought King British: Fin Rot & Fungus Control but not used it as not sure if it will effect my bio-filter... if any body has any suggestions it will be much appreciated, obv I want to treat it asap

I'm pretty sure fin rot is caused by poor water conditions. What're your parameters? I heard you can just do some pwcs and get your water good amd it should stop

Don't use meds. I don't use meds when my fish get sick, I do PWC and they stay alive and healthy. All fish technically can carry a disease, it's just bad water quality that lets it become a problem.

Thanks, yh I know the tank has had trouble cycling (well ammonia only), it had fishless cycled for over 4 weeks and trites and trates all good and look as if they have cycled but the ammonia has never gone down a lot so I put safestart in and fish in hope that would sort out the ammonia bacteria but it hasn't. I keep Ammonia below 0.50 (normally is lower than 0.25). It has had fish in for 2 weeks so together its been 6 weeks... I am doing wc of about 50% daily

A bit concerned today, Bruno's tail seems fine (not worse) but he's not very active at all and keeps resting by the filter inlet - where the water goes in (one of his favourite places) and is barely moving, but when I put my finger near the glass he moves his head out of the way.

Normally when I put my little finger in the water he will chase it but not today and also he did not eat when fed this morning, the ember tetras he is with seem fine. He does have a little something hanging from his chest type area but I am taking it that is faeces? I have never seen this before.

Any ideas would be brilliant he is normally very active... I am worried Im going to lose the little man!

To be honest I have never seen him poo before, but the colour was a kinda greyish I spose, not very long but kinda folded on its self, prob 5mm long maybe a bit more

He has been eating, quite a bit infact - he had been eating the food I put in for the Ember Tetras as well. I deliberately feed him first either Freeze dried blood worms (which have been left to soak in water at least 5 mins before feeding) of Tetra Betta flakes.

Its only been today he has not eaten. Some times he will spit large bits of food back out but appears to eat them again.

OK Thanks!!! I really hope he is ok, obv have not had him long but such a little character! I'll do another wc when I get back tonight. Just surprised he is normally very active but today so lethargic.

Thanks again HUKIT

Bruno passed away last night, when I woke up he was floating upside down. RIP little man! such a character for a tiny fish.

Thanks all for trying to help

Bruno passed away last night, when I woke up he was floating upside down. RIP little man! such a character for a tiny fish.

Thanks all for trying to help

Sorry to hear that, sometimes it's tough to act without seeing any visual symptoms so clean water is all we can do.

Back
Top Bottom