Betta stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bukowski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, just a quickie here. I have a female betta sorority, and was wondering if I should get more? Currently have four in a ten gallon, but heard that five is a good number? Should I get one or two more? All the girls are doing good, and get along fine now that pecking orders have been established a few weeks back.
Thank you all for your esteemed knowledge.

Okay, I have heard that as well, I simply wasnt sure if six would be better or not. Thanks!

Hey, just a quickie here. I have a female betta sorority, and was wondering if I should get more? Currently have four in a ten gallon, but heard that five is a good number? Should I get one or two more? All the girls are doing good, and get along fine now that pecking orders have been established a few weeks back.
Thank you all for your esteemed knowledge.

Well...it all depends. You can't really give any advice on betta sororities until you actually find a problem to give advice on. Betta sororities work out so well for some people and horribly go wrong for others. I would reccomend a twenty gallon heavily planted for a betta sorority, only because if anything goes wrong at least the females will be able to diffuse the aggression with hiding in the plants. Write now if it's working for you I wouldn't change anything because IMO, newcomers to any new group, shoal, sorority, hierarchy, school or some other form of social interaction for fish can usually end up as the most aggressive or most attacked if it's dealing with very multi-personality disordered fishes.

Ooh, this makes perfect sense. My tank is heavily planted/decorated, but everyone seems to be getting along well. Haven't witnessed any chasing or fin nipping for a number of weeks, so perhaps I'll keep it all how it is. Thanks for helping me on all my threads! :)

My opinion is that this will change as the females mature. I couldn't keep females together in a heavily planted 45. IMO most of the time a sorority tank does not work out in the long term. I was fortunate to have multiple tanks so I could separate the fish before they killed each other. They are relentless when they decide to attack the other females.

Back
Top Bottom