betta, weird symptoms. photo ID help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm a total beginner dealing with a bunch of issues in my 10g tank with a betta and four cories (the only survivors of an ammonia spike or something and an ich outbreak, all described in another post) but today my betta has new symptoms that I can't really figure out. I've attached the best couple photos I could manage.

I've already received some great information in my last post and had alot pointed out to me about where I went wrong/was ill-advised, so all that aside, I'm starting this one specifically to see if anyone can identify anything going on with the betta, and tell me if it's a threat to the cories, etc...

The tank is in the process of cycling, the ammonia was high for a couple days but I've been doing 25-30% change daily, and the tank is currently being treated for ich with 1 tbsp salt and a regular daily dose of kordon ich attack. Temp is constant at 78. As of right now the cories are acting totally normal.

the betta:

a 'king' betta I got at petco about a month ago. he so far survived a large die-off and ich, but a couple days ago he developed a small cloudy spot IN each eye, definitely not on the surface. I figured this was due to ammonia. eyes were not (still are not) bulging. today the cloudiness appears to be on the outside of the eye and has grown in size-- it's hard to tell in the photo, but from the top and front it looks like the eyes have been 70% scaled over on the outside. the weirdest part is that, ALSO, there was a tiny white opaque growth protruding from the center-ish of each eyeball, about the size and appearence of a piece of white aquarium sand. I netted the fish against the glass for a minute to try to look closer and get a photo, and while I was watching him poke around in there the little white lumps actually fell/were knocked off the eyes. so you can't see them in the picture, obviously.
other symptoms include rubbing on everything, dark purple/almost black gills protruding when he breathes, and drastic paleness in face and under-gill area compared to his usual dark color. I also noticed the edge of his tail is black, but I can't tell if it's always been like that, and I didn't notice any shrinkage...
aside from the rubbing he swims normally and actively, and can definitely still see, since he chases after sinking pellets and navigates the tank fine... can't see any other ich spots or growths. he does change color alot lately, going from mostly blue-green-black to more red-blue-black from day to day.

so... what's up with his eyes? does this indicate bacteria? fungus?
what would you do in my situation, considering all the recent stress and ongoing ich treatment?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 55
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 52
is there a way to delete this post? I pretty much had my question answered elsewhere and don't want to take up space or peoples' time.

Back
Top Bottom