Betta with a fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here's the story. My betta was in a one gal tank without a filter or heater or anything for about five months. He got ammonia poisoning and a fungal infection. In that time I'd done a fishless cycle on my 5gal tank and recently got him moved into it. Now I treated him for two days with kanaplex, the directions say you can treat for three days. The fungus looked gone so I stopped medicating him and put the carbon back in because I was worried about losing the bacteria I'd spent all those momths growing. Now the fungus is back and he's looking worse than before. He just sits in between a rock and his plant and looks very not well. When he does move he darts around the tank rappidly flashing on the gravel the plants and the wall of the tank.I took out the carbon today and gave him his last treatment. I went two days without the medication. I read on seachems website you dont want to go over three days due to possibility of kidney damage. What do I do tommorow? Is there another medication I can buy? How long should I wait before using it? Will he stop sitting at the bottom when the fungus is gone?

What are your water parameters? What does the fungus look like? Do you have pics? Not sure I can help but I can try.

What is your normal water change schedule? When you cycled the tank how did you cycle it, pure ammonia? Removing just the carbon isn't going to hurt your cycle so that's not a problem. His 5g is heated? What is the temp? Does he have any tank mates? IME, regular water changes, at least 1 50% weekly, keeps them healthy. In this case you may want to do 2 weekly 50% water changes until he's healed up or at least showing big improvement. You could add some aq salt but its up to you. Clean water is going to be the best thing, IMO.

A few days ago I added some stress coat that had some aloe vera in it and he's been feeling better ever since. His scales are turning back to their normal color and the fungus doesnt seem to be making a come back :)

Back
Top Bottom