Betta with a ruptured cyst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firsttimefisher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A little backstory on this little guy (who I named Romeo):

My mother's boss kept Romeo in his office in a small bowl. The bowl was soooo filty and I finally convinced my mother's boss to let me take the fish. He said he wanted another one anyway :(

Brought Romeo home and noticed he had a white spot on him, along with horrible fin rot. He's now in a 10-gallon, heated, filtered, and cycled tank with mystery snails. His behavior has improved tremendously with good food and better conditions. But his fin rot hasn't improved at all and the white spot became bigger. But he was still getting better, eating more, and even bothering the snails.

3bbf54592803773.JPG

But this morning I noticed the cyst had ruptured

9dad9b592803843.JPG

The best way I can describe it is a fluid filled bubble, I guess with what looks like a flap of skin. My previous betta died of natural causes, so I've never experienced this. I researched and thought it was lymphocystis but posted on another forum and some thought maybe TB. I know there is no cure for either, but TB is fatal and is fatal rather quickly, I believe, while a betta can still live for years with lymphocystis.

Any insight would be extremely appreciated! I just wanna give this little guy as good a life as I can.

Can you see f it looks like there are any worms in that area?

I would add a little mineral salt like Himalayan or Redmond/Real salt or aquarium salt and maybe some Epsom salt (not lavender, peppermint or other additives, just epsom salt.

You can start with 1/4 tsp per gallon of salt and
one table spoon per gallon of Epsom salts.

Mix them into water, I use a cup of hot warer till it all melts and then cool it to tank temp with ice cubes or cold water, then treat with water dechorinator.

Do a good pwc if you haven't already done so. Clean water is essential for healing.

Add 1/3 of it gradually over about 20 min. Then after a couple /few hours, add half of what is left and then again give it a few hours and add the rest.

This will help with healing.

Until you can identify what exactly it is. This will be a positive action towards healing in absence of an ID of the spot, i.e. a specific medication for the problem.

I would make a

Back
Top Bottom