Betta with dropsy - can it be cured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've dreaded this day. A fish with dropsy. *shudders* The betta came from walmart and has never been in perfect condition. His tail has always been a bit short and tattered, but he's seemed otherwise healthy, never having any other health conditions. I would say he's 1.5 - 2 years old. His water quality is ideal. I keep reading dropsy is caused by poor water conditions..well not so here. I'm tempted to just put him down, before he's miserable. I've heard fish are never quite right again after having dropsy even if you can cure it. Since he was never the picture of perfect health to begin with, maybe it's his time. Does anyone have any experience with dropsy and advice for me? TIA

If he has had it for more than 3 days, I think he's too far gone. :( I had to put 3 fish down for dropsy, I don't know why it happened and I wasn't able to cure it. You can try salt baths or salting his tank, or just go ahead and put him down.
Are his scales pineconing really bad?

If he has had it for more than 3 days, I think he's too far gone. :( I had to put 3 fish down for dropsy, I don't know why it happened and I wasn't able to cure it. You can try salt baths or salting his tank, or just go ahead and put him down.
Are his scales pineconing really bad?

I have no idea how long it's been really. I mean, of course I see him every day but I just don't know if I missed it at first. I'm not sure if it's really bad..I will say I took one look and lknew, even though I've never had a fish with it before. So it's bad enough that it was unmistakable :( If the outlook is grim, which I'm feeling like it is, I don't think I even want to put him through treatment. I'm just not really coming across much in the way of success stories. I don't know maybe I'll try salt for a day or two and see if it helps at all. If he gets any worse at all, I think I'll just put him down. I absolutely can't stand to see him suffer. Dropsy is really awful looking :(

Yes, it is. :( I just lost a betta to dropsy about a month ago. He got better, then he got worse, and while I was gone and my husband was fish-sitting, he passed away. He hung on for 2 weeks, and I feel terrible for not putting him down sooner.

Oh gosh, that's terrible, exactly what I don't want. Thanks for sharing..I think I need to trust my gut instinct on this one. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm sorry for your misfortune. IMO it's very very hard to treat, and like you said, they may bounce back, only to turn worse when it comes back. Stinks =(

Yes. Well. I could not let him remain in the state he was in, and it was ended for him, instantly. :( I'll never forget my boy betta named Barbara. So silly. My little girl named him.

Back
Top Bottom