Betta with finrot, bloated swim bladder? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexis009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got my little guy hanging in a 1/2 gal hospital tank in my ten gal. Put him in there yesterday with aq salt and he looks worse today! He may have fin melt? I'm not sure but the rot is moving fast. I was thinking about treating with penecillin as well, any reason why i should wait?

P.S I've done two 100% water changes today and yesterday, my temp is 76F

Cecil2010 said:
You never want to do 100% water changes as that causes mini cycles in your tank. Stick to 50-75%

Just curious - why would this cause a mini cycle? It's my understanding that the BB lives mainly in the filter, et. al., not the water itself.

I could see a 100% water change being stressful on the fish if the incoming water parameters don't match the previous parameters as it doesn't allow for any acclimation... But a cycle is about sufficient quantities of BB and the bioload to feed them. Is your concern that the new water will be devoid of the ammonia (waste) required to maintain the colony? I would think the substrate, a bit of fish food, and the fish would continue to provide at the existing requirements.

Yes, I prefer back-to-back 50% changes if needed for some reason, but it's more to do with not suddenly changing water parameters on the fish all at once, as well as not needing to remove them.

Can someone enlighten? Thanks!

Cindi

Lexis009 said:
I've got my little guy hanging in a 1/2 gal hospital tank in my ten gal. Put him in there yesterday with aq salt and he looks worse today! He may have fin melt? I'm not sure but the rot is moving fast. I was thinking about treating with penecillin as well, any reason why i should wait?

P.S I've done two 100% water changes today and yesterday, my temp is 76F

Please answer these from the sticky:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Also, can you post a photo of the fin(s)? How much salt did you add (in tsp or tbsp per gal)? When you say 1/2 gal hospital tank do you mean one of those breeder/fry contraptions? Where was he before? Are there other fish in the 10 gallon? How did you add the salt? (Directly into the tank, or pre dissolved in aquarium water?)

Cindi

I frequently do 100% wcs and have never had an issue keeping my tanks cycled. The majority of your good bacteria live on the surfaces of a tank (filter, decor, glass, substrate, etc) & excrete a sticky substance to keep themselves there- water changes will not remove them. The key is temperature matching & properly conditioning the new water. Its important to note that not everyone can do this because their water straight out of the tap vs 24hrs later may have drastically different parameters (namely ph).

In respect to the betta, penicillin is not a good idea. It works well for certain infections in mammals but it pretty much ineffective for fish. Can you be more specific with symptoms? Is he pineconed? Can he swim at all? What does the fin rot look like? White coating or is it fuzzy/tufts of hair? Is he eating? Did this happen overnight or has it been getting progressively worse over time?

Thanks for all the replies! Oh and he is a betta, I believe he is getting much better! I decided to not medicate the water, just his little hikari pellets with penecillin, In case of internal bacteria. other than that I've been doing AQ salt in a tsp per gallon with 100% water changes everyday.

The most likely contributor to his improvement is clean water. Not penicillin. Did you read any of the questions I or the other posters asked?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help! I'll try to answer the sticky as best I can to find out what went wrong.

1. Betta had small chunk of caudal fin affected with fin rot and I immediately started doing water changes, figuring I had caught it in time, the next day it looked like he had been eaten alive with the stuff, has clamped fins, was EXTREMELY lethargic to the point of being unresponsive to me. Which is very unusual for Falcor, he is generally an attention hog :). His swim bladder was also swollen up really bad so he couldn't swim down. He was essentially stuck at the top. But that has pretty much disappeared since I've had him in the hospital. His swelling has gone away now, and no it was not dropsy thank god.
2. I keep my water at 76 F but I cranked it up to 78 F since this started. All of my readings came out zero but this was also after I had already started water changes. The ph stays around 7.6ish.
3. It's a ten gallon that's been running 8 months, never had a problem before. I've got him in a bettaview 1/2 gal that's floating in the main tank. No filter or anything. Got it specifically for QT.

4. A stock HOB filter with medium cartridges(came with tank at yard sale), I've modified it slightly by hanging it higher to get more turbulance, and added two small sponges so I wouldn't have a colony crash while changing the filters, which I've only done twice. I believe in just rinsing in tank water. One week I'll rinse the main filter, the next week I'll rinse the little sponges if they are really gunky.

5. I have a community tank that has been together with no problems for six months, which includes two bamboo shrimp(two in. Each), two bumblebee gobies(neon tetra size), 4 ghost shrimp(1cm ea.), a rubberlip pleco(2in), and an unknown amount of Malaysian trumpet snails,probably close to 100. (I've started picking them out since this started bc I believe they are messing with my bioload, so far I've got about 50 out.With five being close to an inch long.)

6. I do water changes upwards of twice a week. Changing about 20- 30% at a time. Three days before this I actually had to refill the tank about 55-60% since the cat knocked my pwc hose out, and I woke up to half the water gone and on my floor. The intake on the filter was totally out of the water so I had to use an airstone while I refilled it. I'm not sure how long the fish went without it. Possibly a few hours. I vacuum just the main areas about once a week.

7. Six months, all together, no sickness.

8. Just an endless supply of MTS.

9. 4 hikari pellets for the betta, frozen brine shrimp for the gobies, the betta usually hogs part of that so I have to shoo him away(reason for the low amount of pellets). The shrimp clean up the rest of that and then I leave half of a
Spectrum bottom feeder disk every 3-5days for rubberlip and bamboos if they don't get enough out of the Kent microvert drops I put in for them. Which isn't very often since I jiggle the filter for them and they are happy with that. About two weeks ago I started feeding the fish some mosquito larvae that I got from a baby pool I set up specifically for that. I wash them and the bumble bees aren't sick from them so I doubt that's why he got sick.

To be honest, i think what happened is when he just had the one spot of fin rot, and I started doing water changes, I also rinsed the filter out as well. When that happens the water gets really cloudy from the debri right? So I think I basically covered him in bacteria for about ten minutes when I meant to help. From now on I'm going to float him in a cup while I clean to keep him From getting dirty if that idea has any merit.

SolvingNormal said:
The most likely contributor to his improvement is clean water. Not penicillin. Did you read any of the questions I or the other posters asked?

Yes thank you SolvingNormal! It just took me a while to respond bc I've to write it twice because my Ipad crashed while sending the first time lol. Just my luck! I'm very pleased that he is getting better, I believe he is getting some fin regrowth on one of the really bad areas as well, it nearly went right up to his body before it stopped.

Back
Top Bottom