Betta with ich...HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steviebetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just noticed my betta has ich (white spots on body, face and tail). What are the best medications? Raising temp? Adding salt? Shop bought treatment? None of which I can do till tomorrow apart from raising temp.
He is in a 5g on his own. No idea how the ich got in his tank? All water parameters are good and tank is almost a year old. I use the same syphon for both my tanks so maybe thats how the ich was introduced but othe fish in other tank look fine???

Best thing is to do for now is raise the temp and do a deep gravel vacuum. Then follow the directions for a salt treatment. I don't like using chemicals if I don't have to. I have found the heat and salt method very effective.

Thanks for the reply. I am raising temp and adding salt to the tank. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon. I dissolved in new water before adding to the tank. I do a gravel vac every water change. Should I part water change everyday and if so do I replace salt every change? Sorry for all the questions lol just worried.

+1 on the remedy...increase temp to 80 degrees, vacuum the gravel. Salt dips help, but avoid salting the whole tank. Salt does not evaporate, so several water changes will be required.
D

So only dose with salt once? Then do frequent water changes without adding more salt?

I recommend a salt dip. Take the fish out of the tank, along with some tank water. Add to a holding container and salt that one. After a 30 minute bath, beta should be good to go back to the primary tank. It the beta in a tank all by itself?

I salt dipped the betta and all but 1 spot have gone after 12 hours. Should I go again? Did a major gravel vac too. My other tank has now got it :( must be from using same syphon. How do I treat a whole tank? Rummy nose tetras, albino and panda corys are in this tank. Thanks again guys.

I would continue the treatments for the next 7-10 days. If the problem is present in many fish, raise the tank temp to 84 degrees and try a few group salt baths to get on top of the ich. I can't say where you are picking up the ich, but is can't survive in temps over 84 degrees. I keep my Discus at 84 degrees and I have never seen ich. Creep the temp up slowly to 84 degrees (72 hours) and keep it there for at least 5 days. Make the salt baths for 30 minutes each over the next 7-10 days. You will have to clean your filter media because dormant ich may be hiding there.
D

Ok thats what I'll do. Thanks for the great advice. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom