Betta With Velvet and Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My betta has velvet, no idea how he got it but he did, and I started treatment today. I was researching but can't find anything on this topic, so I'll ask the people here who have experience in areas I do not. I got algae wafers for my olive nerite snail, just so I'll know for certain he's got enough in there, even though my betta is a very avid and showy pooper. Is it okay to toss in a wafer, or should I wait until after treatment is over, or should I wait until so far into treatment? It's a six-day treatment. Suggestions or recommendations?

What are you using to treat velvet and are you sure that's what it is? I treated fish for it once, I only lost one which is pretty good. I found Maracide to be effective but I treated for two weeks (I finished one treatment then restarted just to be sure it was gone). Research meds though first b/c some meds that are OK for other fish are not good for Bettas due to their labrynth organ. Velvet also needs light to multiply so you'll want to blackout the tank; no lights except for a minute or two when feeding and to check on the fish and put a sheet or black garbage bag or something over the front and sides of the tank to keep light from getting in. I raised the temp slowly until it got to about 82, but I can't rememer for sure. You might want to remove the snail for treatment as many meds will not be good for snails; maybe read what the medication label says.

The medications have directions for tanks with snails in it, so it is safe for my snail. It looks like velvet and all his actions meet it, so I'm going with velvet. I made sure to check the medications at the store for this. It was also in the betta area of the fish section, if that helps. I just don't know whether it's okay to toss in an algae wafer for my snail or if I need to wait.

Back
Top Bottom