BGA problem - please help this returning newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMuenzner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi - coming to you all for some advice as you've never led me wrong. I have a planted 12g fluval edge with a couple of danios, a few Von rio tetras, a couple of shrimp, and a couple of assassin snails.

Over the last several weeks, I have had an explosion of BGA, primarily taking over a large piece of driftwood that I have in the tank and now also moving onto my plants; in fact, i've had a lot of plants die off recently also. I have done some cleaning, including taking out the driftwood and cleaning it, and done some gravel vans, etc. Water parameters always test good.

The manager at the my LFS suggested increasing the filter return, which I did, and it has seemed to have little impact.

I just bought some chemiclean cyano remover and don't see many other options at this point. My thought is to follow the regimen prescribed on the bottle, do the required water changes during the dosing period, and then get into more frequent water changes once this mess is cleared up. Please give me an feedback, thoughts, experiences, suggestions, etc. my tank started out beautifully a few months ago and is now a mess - I don't want to tear it down completely.

Thanks in advance!

While I rarely recommend meds for a tank, I have found through experience that erythromycin seems to work every time for treating BGA. I have had outbreaks in new tanks before and after 1 treatment, it never came back in the tanks that had been treated.

Back
Top Bottom