Bichir tankmate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conureparrot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I am getting a 120 or 125 gallon tank. I plan on putting a bichir in there along with a freshwater puffer. Any thoughts on which puffer would work? What about also adding discus or chiclids? Maybe even a school if small tetras if they are too small and fast for the bichir and puffer. Any thoughts? Any good tankmates I've missed?

The only freshwater puffers I know are pea (way to small for your tank) and potato puffers (about 7" but not fish friendly)
Potato puffers stay near the bottom as do bichir so I wouldn't risk it.
Basically keep the bichir with anything too big for it to eat
Oscar's or other larger cichlids might work.

Personally I wouldn’t even get the neons. I’ve had both kinds of fish and just by personal experience and observations my Bichir has and will just swallow them up. Especially with the right conditions it would be a playful hunt for the Bichir, and at night it would be a nightmare if the neons sift around through junk at the bottom while the Bichir is waiting. Even tried tiger barbs because of their tendency to swim around the middle or top. They got eaten too [emoji23]. My Bichir is well fed but has had no other problems with my silver dollars, blood parrot, angelfish, Red tail shark, and rainbow fish. Like the comment above mine all of these fish are larger and grow at a pace where they can’t be eaten because they are much larger than he is. (My Bichir is about 10 inches and a half inch thick or so) and he is absolutely dwarfed by the other fish. All of them swim and mid level as well so their interaction is minimal other then when the Bichir comes up for air. Obviously all fish interact differently with each other so you could definitely try it but personally I would stick to larger fish that can keep up with the growing pace of the Bichir. As far as puffers I would avoid them with the Bichir as well. But I haven’t kept puffers before so I might not be the most experienced here to tell you that. Hope,I was of some help and let me know if you have questions or need anything else!

Back
Top Bottom