Glofish Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairMetalChick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can El Tigre Endlers or Celestial Pearl Danios be in a tank with Glofish Tetras?? Should Glofish ONLY be with other Tetras??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Can El Tigre Endlers or Celestial Pearl Danios be in a tank with Glofish Tetras?? Should Glofish ONLY be with other Tetras??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I wouldn't. The Glowfish Tetras are just modified ( genetically altered) Black Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) and despite what you may read on the internet, can become aggressive if crowded or underfed. They will do well in a larger aquarium with fish larger than themselves but not with smaller fish. Also, the Endlers would do better in harder water than the CPDs would so even if they were okay to mix with the Tetras, they are a bad combination. Choose other fish. (y)
What size tank do you have them in? The tank size will help determine what other fish would do well with them.

Thanks for your reply!!

I have a 20gal tank. They are in there with 5 Ottocats. Was just thinking they need some tankmates. What fish would you choose? My fish store suggested Tetras but they are all much smaller than the Glofish.

I am really trying to make this decision carefully as I got bad advice from a different fish store. They said it would be fine to put a male Betta in with my fancy guppies and he killed all the guppies. It was extremely traumatic! The Betta has been rehomed but now I am very leary of mixing fish!!

I really appreciate your time!

Thanks for your reply!!

I have a 20gal tank. They are in there with 5 Ottocats. Was just thinking they need some tankmates. What fish would you choose? My fish store suggested Tetras but they are all much smaller than the Glofish.

I am really trying to make this decision carefully as I got bad advice from a different fish store. They said it would be fine to put a male Betta in with my fancy guppies and he killed all the guppies. It was extremely traumatic! The Betta has been rehomed but now I am very leary of mixing fish!!

I really appreciate your time!
Well, I'd say it's time to find a new shop than the one telling you to mix a Betta with Guppies. That's proof they/ that person doesn't have a clue about the fish they sell. :facepalm: :whistle:

A 20 long is not really a very large tank so I wouldn't get fish that are going to occupy the same part of the tank that your Tetras are already using. That would mean other bottom dwelling fish. If that does not thrill you, adding more of the Glo Tetras would be okay. Maybe add other colors you do not already have? You just do not want to go above 8-10 fish in the school in that size tank. Keep in mind that they can get to 2"-3" at full maturity so you do not want to crowd them.

Thanks so much for your help! I have definetely found a new fish shop!

My tank is a 20gal high. Don't know if that makes a difference. I will probably just leave the tank as is for now!

Thanks so much for your help! I have definetely found a new fish shop!

My tank is a 20gal high. Don't know if that makes a difference. I will probably just leave the tank as is for now!

Actually YES, that makes a big difference because it's 6" less swimming space between a 20High and a 20 Long. ( Fish swim left to right or right to left much more than than swim up and down. ) I just read your intro so 8 is more than enough in that tank. (y)

Back
Top Bottom