Bickering bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon tank with 4 BR. One pair and then a male female who hate eachother. The pair picks on both. What do I do?
Try to exchange males or return male for a female?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your best choices would be either to keep the pair and rehome the others and get something else, or to get a couple more to spread the aggression. Depends how much you like Bolivian Rams.

Do you have much else in the tank?

I have 8 cory cats, a BN pleco, tetras and pearl gourami.

I'm thinking if adding a harem of apistos but would need to find a more peaceful species.

If I decided to stick w just BR how many females to the male do I get?

I think if you get a couple more BR get females and then you'll have a 2:1 ratio females to males. You should definitely get that ratio if you went for Cockatoo dwarfs or similar.

Bolivian Rams are a really interesting species. They sometimes spawn in pairs and sometimes they will form harems. In your case, a pair has formed. I would not try adding more females I would just rehome the rest of them.

If you want to keep apistogramma, they are mostly harem spawners. Keep in mind, most Apisto females are excellent parents and they will defend their fry to the death. Depending on the species and the individual being in a tank with so many bottom dwelling catfish may stress them out to the point of death trying to defend their eggs/fry. On the other hand, BN plecos are legendary egg eaters so she never get any fry to protect.

Could I do all female apistos?
You could but female Apistos are just very small brown fish. They only turn yellow when they are spawning or protecting their young.

I think it would be OK to do a trio. Just keep an eye on them and watch the females. If you start to have a problem pull them out. Apisto parenting behavior is fun to watch.

They are actually rather drab when not in spawn or being fed their favorite food..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would really like to add some colorful fish w personality...any thoughts?

Lfs suggested geophagus rio negro...swears it's peaceful. Not a lot of info on them anywhere

Do severum eat plants?

Some plants more than others.

In my experience with severums I would say more likely than not. I put 3 swords in with my 2 red spots and over night they turned them into stems. Other than that awesome fish very personable and interactive with their keepers. Mine would swim into my hand.

Mine will eat java moss. Funny how the moss comes out completely unchanged from before it was eaten.

Geophagus sp rio negro is what they were labeled as. 6 inches from what I found...
Yea I read the same thing about geophagus, like to be in groups. Is my 75 gal big enough for 2?
Makes me nervous a fish I can't find out info on...

Geophagus sp rio negro is what they were labeled as. 6 inches from what I found...
Yea I read the same thing about geophagus, like to be in groups. Is my 75 gal big enough for 2?
Makes me nervous a fish I can't find out info on...
OK, I did some quick research. I found 3 species commonly referred to as Rio Negro.

Geophagus sp. "Rio Negro I"
Geophagus sp. "Rio Negro II"
Geophagus altifrons "Rio Negro"

'Rio Negro I' was later described as G. winemilleri, they reach about 8".
'Rio Negro II' was later described as G. dicrozoster, they also reach about 8".
G. altifrons gets to be more like 10".

I have kept both winemilleri and dicrozoster. Those would be fine in a 75g tank until they hit about 6" at which point they really need a bigger tank. I have always kept them in groups of 5-8 fish.

Back
Top Bottom