bicolor pseudochromis trying to kill my cleaner shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
my cleaner shrimp kept hiding on a filterbox or something like that on the back of my tank... today i took him out of there and put a sponge through the hole he went in...

after i took him out, everything seemed fine and all the fish passed by him and did nothing... then my bicolor pseudochromis went and ripped half an anttenae off him.... that looked kindof cruel to me so I scared him off....

right now the cleaner shrimp is in the water but in atransparent box for the meanwhile...

the bicolor pseudochromis still tries to attack him but obviously he cant....

can i just keep them in there for today and then let him out or will the bicolor pseudochromis get him and kill him??????
has anyone experienced something like this with a bicolor pseudochromis and any kindof shrimp???????

the cleaner shrimp is about 2 inches long and had lived in the filter box for the past month

i hated it because it never showed up so took him out of there...

the bicolor pseudochromis is also about 2 inches or 2.5 inches long.....

thant you for your help...

I had exactly the same that happen to me. A purple pseudochromis I got attacked my coral banded shrimp...

I took the pseudochromis back to the LFS because I like my shrimp better....they are known to fight with shrimp...and I think I read somewhere that they have teeth!

The pseudochromis and the shrimp prolly won't stop fighting eachother so you should get rid of one of them...

I’m pretty sure my Fridmani Pseudochromis did my cleaner shrimp in as well last week after he molted :( He hasn’t messed with my Peppermint shrimp or Banded Coral Shrimp yet but I may have to get rid of mine also. One of my favorite fish so I may just let “nature take it’s course” :|

I traded my purple pseudochromis for a less aggressive Royal Gramma, but he didn't make the transition very well and died....he was a nice colorful alternative to the psuedochromis though.

I love my coral banded shrimp "Jaques" toooo much to let anyone mess with him....that mean pseudochromis I had to get rid of spent a little over one day in our tank before I took him back.

As far as I know any of the pseudochromis have the potential to be shrimp killers. I know people who keep them to get rid of mantis shrimp, and anything that'll take on one of those has GOT to be vicious. Pseudochromis may be advertised as reef safe but I've never seen any that were less than semi aggressive. Royal gramma's are much cooler IMO. Just use the drip method to acclimatize them. I had a royal gramma for quite a while till the mantis shrimp got it. (Got rid of the mantis shrimp since)

wow i didnt knew there was another kind of fish that looked so much like the bicolor pseudochromis.......... so the one in nemo's movie... is that a royal gama??????

thanks everyone....

Back
Top Bottom