Big Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the last few weeks, the algae in my 10G nano has been getting out of control. I clean the sides/fixtures one day, and the next they're coated in green algae again! There's all different colours - dark red (not coraline, although there is a tiny bit of that), light green strands, big thick clumps of dark green, some even black/dark brown. It's all over the rock, and even growing on my corals!

I have 3 fish - an ocellaris clown, purple dottyback, and a tiny yellow clown goby. I feed once a day, frozen, and wouldn't say I overfed.

The lights are 33w total, and are on for 10 hours a day (whites/actinic). My nitrates are around 20, so could do with being lower, but even after 5 PWCs they're not going down, so I think I have a problem with my test kit - I used the reference sample, and that was also out, so I wouldn't think the nitrates were the cause.

I use RO water that I buy from my LFS, and mix up 24+hours before I use it for a PWC.

Can anyone help? This is driving me slightly insane :(

Have you tested the RO water for nitrates/phosphates before you add salt?

Yes, I tested it for nitrates, and it came up as 5ppm, but I do think my test kit is out. So, I asked the LFS to test it before I took a new batch away, and it came up as 0. I don't have a phosphates test I'm afraid...

I've always used RO from my LFS since I started my tank in September, and the algae has only been this bad for the past month or so.

Have you fed anything different to the tank lately? Changed foods? Used more frozen foods? etc??

You need to have your PO4 looked at? Take a sample down to the LFS and have them test it for you. Or even better, buy some RO water from the LFS and have that tested BEFORE you add your salt to it. See if there are any PO4 or nitrates in that. If so, they need to change out their membrane and/or resin.

Have you fed anything different to the tank lately? Changed foods? Used more frozen foods? etc??

You need to have your PO4 looked at? Take a sample down to the LFS and have them test it for you. Or even better, buy some RO water from the LFS and have that tested BEFORE you add your salt to it. See if there are any PO4 or nitrates in that. If so, they need to change out their membrane and/or resin.

No, just the same food (frozen) I've been feeding ever since my tank started, and the same amount, sometimes less now, as I used to feed twice every day, but now it's often just once.

I will test my PO4, but I got the LFS to test their RO water before I left, and it had 0 nitrates apparently, so it doesn't look like it's the RO.

Back
Top Bottom