Big problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Came home tonight after being out all day to find the impeller on my 10g's HOB had siezed.

I took it into the bathroom and tried to clean the impeller, didnt work. I tried to disassemble it, but the motor unit is epoxied into the housing.

Best part of all is that I dont have the $$$ to buy a new filter at the moment, so I'm gunna have to borrow from someone.

How long can the guys in my 10g live without the filter in there?

I've got 3 painted tetra, 3 penguin tetra and a rosy barb.

I just cleaned and changed the substrate in this tank not even 2 days ago, so I'm kinda worried that the new sand doesnt have any of the beneficial bacteria that they need.

Damn Aqua-Tech pos filter.

Just keep up with PWC's, keep the heater going and temp constant, and you should be fine til you get the other heater. And dechlor the new water.

toddnbecka said:
Have an air pump? Anything to circulate water will help.

Yup, I'll throw the bubble curtain back in. I just fed them pretty well this morning, so maybe I'll stay away from feeding until I can get them a new filter too.

And of course, PWCs.. the answer to everything.

Buy an aquaclear hob, they have a lifetime warranty. I've used AC hob's and powerheads for many years, only had one powerhead die. The coil went, dunno why, but the hob's were still running, so it wasn't a problem.

toddnbecka said:
Buy an aquaclear hob, they have a lifetime warranty. I've used AC hob's and powerheads for many years, only had one powerhead die. The coil went, dunno why, but the hob's were still running, so it wasn't a problem.

Exactly what I did. It was either that, or an HOB with a bio-wheel, and there's no way I want to listen to trickling water as I sleep.

I'm quite impressed with the AC sofar. With the biomedia though, is it supposed to be loose in the top of the filter, or in a mesh bag like the carbon?

In a mesh bag which should have come with the filter. The bio-max isn't already put into it though.

RoK said:
In a mesh bag which should have come with the filter. The bio-max isn't already put into it though.

Ahh. I was wondering what that huge mesh bag was for.. I'll have to fix that.

Just rinse out the sponge in tank water when you do a partial, or hose it in the sink/tub if it gets really loaded. (AFTER the biomax has time to become colonized w/bacteria) The sponge will last for years.

If you're low on cash, buy a filter online. A small aquaclear online at a place like Big Als' should be <$20. Don't go to the LFS!!! It'll be twice as much.

newfound77951 said:
If you're low on cash, buy a filter online. A small aquaclear online at a place like Big Als' should be <$20. Don't go to the LFS!!! It'll be twice as much.

I was going to, but I didnt really feel like doing PWCs daily until it arrived. It wasnt too bad though, got an AquaClear 20 for $28 @ Petco

Do you have a box filter/ If not you can take a small square food storage container you don't particular mind losing. Cut a few, thick slits in the cover. Put the airstone in the bottom with the hose running through the cover and connecting to the air pump, and add the sponges and other biomedia from the broken filter. You might have to add a little gravel to this makeshift box filter to keep it from floating. If the container is big you can add another sponge to fill it, more room for the bacteria to grow. This filter should keep your tank in good shape for a while, you don't have much bioload so this filter is really all you need in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom