Big problems again....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help....I think my betta has internal parasites AGAIN! He is now in the 10g tank that I just cycled a couple of weeks ago....and my cories are in there too! I am so upset! I am not sure what to do because I am leaving to go out of town for a couple of days starting tomorrow! Should I treat the whole tank today or take him out and put him in the new 2.5 gallon tank that I just cycled with the two female guppies in it? I know I would have to move them out and put them in the 10g tank.....Agghhhh....I didn't need this to worry about before trying to leave to go out of town tomorrow.
What would you all do? There is no way I can set up another tank before monday anyway. What do I do until then?

i think you should leave as is

unless he shows REAL bad signs of distress.
THEN when you come back you can medicate

Okay....thanks misticx.....He is showing no signs of distress at all. I just went to check everyone out and saw that he that darned white stringy poop coming out again. Dag gone it.....do you think this is something that will spread to my cories??

cories are the sanitarians of the aquarium, they will eat pretty much everything ... including that ... yes ;(

i think it will spread, if it did not already.

leave them as they are, and when you come back try medicating them.
that is what I WOULD DO, but then again i am not at the top of the grid in medic/doctor skills

You know I have occasionally seen white poop from several different fish of mine. But have not seen it as an issue and the fish seem fine otherwise. Seems that the poop can vary in color alot from my viewing(from day to day). I would look for other issues/symptoms before administering treatment. I guess I would say that if it is continuously like that for several days then I may consider it a problem. As always here's my disclaimer: I'm no expert!

Do you try to very the diet a little with different foods?

OH and new2bettas I just found a page that has tons of links to diagnose fish issues
Disease & Illness Diagnosis Sites (Thread to be added to Pinned "How-To" topic)

Last edited:
I hope this is just regular poop, but it was long and white. He seems to be fine otherwise. And, yes I do vary his food. He will not eat betta pellet food at all, but I vary the flakes that I give him. He also eats some of the cory shrimp pellets that sink to the bottom. I will keep an eye on him until I leave tomorrow and then see how he is when I get back. I will have my husband feed him regulalry until I get back.

I guess a good test would be, feeding 1 type of food for awhile and see how the poop looks like, then do it with the other foods. Maybe you may notice its just a particular food that does it?

BTW are your shrimp doing OK?

BTW are your shrimp doing OK?

Unfortunately, and an expensive lesson learned on my part.....my betta loved the shrimp. He thought they were very tasty :( I actually got a few live ones out of my filter a few days ago and put them in my 2.5g tank and the guppies immediately ate them. They didn't have time to hide in the moss or plants or anything. I couldn't believe it! I so wanted to have shrimp too!

Back
Top Bottom