Biggest Newbie moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey,
So i like doing threads like these and i was reading over my first ever threads and i laughed at how little i knew back then. So i was wondering if you guys have ever had newbie moments like what i had. Which is keeping a Fantail in a 7 lirte tank :sorry:
So whaats yours then all are welcome!

I bought a gold gourami and liked it so much I went and bought another one and after 3 months the second one had not grown as much so using the internet I found out you get dwarf gourami. The pet shop did not state dwarf but because I did not know I did not check.

...bought plants from petsmart. Why do those white ribbon plants look sooo attractive to newbies?

...bought plants from petsmart. Why do those white ribbon plants look sooo attractive to newbies?
Oh my gosh SAMEE. I bought those White Ribbons because they looked nice. I'm not exactly plant expert now, but I at least know better now to watch out for those "not truly aquatic" plants Petco and Petsmart sell. :/

K so i while back i had this cute little gourami and i come home one day and find him dead....... in my 10 gallon tank.......... so i take it out and put it in a plastic bag planning to go burry it later. well 20 minutes later i am bout to go bury it.. and i notice IT IS STILL BREATHING! with no water for 20 minutes. So i run downstairs and put it back in my 10 gallon and am thinking of what to do... So because sea salt can sometimes help cure freshwater fish diseases . I get my salt out................. But i had snails in the tank and didn't know if the salt would kill them (lol) . So I get out my fish bucket and get a cup and get the fish and put him in the bucket I put salt in there. And about a hour later i see him breathing and swimming again so i put him back in the 10 gallon the he almost dies again. So i take him back out and put him in the fish bucket with salt. And this repeated 4-5 times so not knowing what to do i just gave up put the fish back in the 10 gallon tank and said wel its gonna die i cant do anything else. So wake up next morning and the fish is better then ever!
AND THIS FISH IS STILL ALIVE TODAY....
lol

My first fish tank.. it was 10g. A friend of mine who worked in pet care before I did gave me my options and not knowing any better I heeded her advice. I ended up with two fantail goldfish and a comet!

Remarkably they did pretty well and the two of the fantails are now in my 50, quite large and happy(though I am anxious for the day I can make my own indoor pond for them). The comet moved on to a friends enormous pond and is doing well. While I made a big oopsie I apparently saved myself a little by being obsessive about partial water changes, even though I didn't understand the nitrogen cycle at the time.

Doh.

I bought a yellow tang from petco for $50
He only lived for 4 days cause my cycle wasnt done :O I was so mad
That day I learned to:
1. Wait for the cycle to finish
2. Don't buy saltwater fish from petco without checking the LFS

Having a water bubble on one of my rocks and having Neilan and Sparky tell me my rock was pearling...I thought that it really was, since I had no idea what it meant. That's about as newbie as it gets.

Yeah, poor goldfish get all the beatings! I try really hard to talk people out of them nowadays unless they are willing to spend money on the tank and extra filtration. I am known as the crazy goldfish lady who wants people to buy the aquaclear 110 and dual run those babies! lol

Lol it all happens with the goldfish!

This one is sad...

The petco guy telling me "You're 3 goldfish will get over ich naturally. No need to treat them, just keep feeding them."
And believing him.

RIP!!

Back
Top Bottom