Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well they have different features. Pros and cons.

But comparing posted PAR numbers, let's see...

Fugeray Planted+
12": 61
15": 45
(No 24" distance measurement posted)

Sat+
12" deep is 36 micromols
24" is at 21 micromols

Looks like the planted+ wins the PAR game, but it doesn't have the controller/modes. It's a nice light too, I think. Those were pre-production prototype PAR numbers recorded in Taiwan (according to Lowe on TPT), so we'll see if they match up to the actual production retail version. Lowe always states that preliminary PAR numbers are taken overseas, then they take their own at Finnex, and then they average the two before they release official numbers or create those PAR charts.

Not sure what PAR Bill is getting with the Sat+, but a 12L is only 9.4" tall, minus substrate, it would be ~7" distance or so. So the Sat+ should perform well on his tank.

Well, Brian pretty much hit the nail on the head. First off, I needed less light and suspending the ray 2 was just not an option for the tanks current location. Second, the fact that I can customize the color all in one fixture was another selling point for me, you can add or mix all the RGBs to customize the look of your tank, or what your plants need. The fugeray r or planted+ just adds reds, I believe. The final thing, that really sold me, and is something I've been waiting for, and jealous of the SW guys and their controllers, was the ramp timers. This is the biggest thing for me! I can't wait to setup sunrise and sunset and have them all slowly dim on or off over a set amount of time. This is going to make the tank a lot more enjoyable while I'm sitting on the couch, across the room, pretending to watch tv with my wife... ;)

Last edited:
Soooo... Was looking back at pictures... I kinda miss the iwagumi...
img_2649086_0_29626da8be6bb4d23135d3e8f22e12ef.jpg

VS
img_2649086_1_791c4d1afcef2c3fd13ac0812be91bc5.jpg

Last edited:
Your tank is beautiful in both versions, IMO. But yes, I like the version that won TOTM much better! Haha

Are you thinking of a rescape, perhaps?

I've got some ideas for a few more scapes I'd like to do... Not sure if I'm gonna wait till I can setup the second 12L or work on this one, though. I'm just gonna let it be for now...

Glosso would look cool. Bill, if you ever want to do AS again, now is a good time to buy. ADG still has 9 liters of Amazonia for 35$ shipped. You might one day have an urge to rescape.

They had Africana, but it looks to be sold out now. I couldn't resist and picked up a bag myself.

Don't get me wrong, I love both but I totally understand why you tore down the iwagumi, I'm sure its even more work than a Dutch high tech. I think if you added something to the back two corners it would be a little more entertaining to you but still fitting of the tank name "simplicity". Even just sand dunes maybe, could get slightly away from the whole flat substrate thing

Personally, I think a staurogyne repens carpet would look AWESOME. It's getting pretty cheap now, too, so it wouldn't break the bank. Saw someone a little while ago on TPT offering it at 40 stems for $20.

Staurogyne Repens are available most of the time from Petsmart as a tissue culture plant in a bag LIKE this for around 7.99 or 8.99.
I planted some in my 12G Edge and they are going very well for pretty low light. Didn't have ANY transition issues from immersed to submerged.

60074-albums12694-picture58355.jpg

Yup, the only thing with those petsmart plants is that you have to get them when they get a new shipment, or they quickly turn to mush. On those plant walls with the only lighting being a single T8 3' up in the air, and in a sealed bag, they can turn bad real fast. And, with staurogyne, usually you can get stems that are fully grown for just as good prices (if not better) - and then you don't have to wait for the stems to grow out, a big bonus for impatient people like me :ROFLMAO:

Yup, the only thing with those petsmart plants is that you have to get them when they get a new shipment, or they quickly turn to mush. On those plant walls with the only lighting being a single T8 3' up in the air, and in a sealed bag, they can turn bad real fast. And, with staurogyne, usually you can get stems that are fully grown for just as good prices (if not better) - and then you don't have to wait for the stems to grow out, a big bonus for impatient people like me :ROFLMAO:

Good to know! I hadn't noticed them in other places, lol. Haven't ever seen them at any lfs in this area.

Just finished weekly maintenance on both my tanks. :D
img_2653302_0_9107a6aaf2a55c075f18142522e2a178.jpg
img_2653302_1_fb5fac56870d3e387f248c69c18bbb29.jpg
img_2653302_2_1fbdd413346651d51cb0ff97a0593dbf.jpg

I think I have decided on how I will end up rescaping this tank, when the time comes. Here are a few tanks I was pulling inspiration from, utilizing driftwood and stone... Keep in mind, these pictures do not belong to me, they're used for reference and pulled from the AGA site... ;) :lol:
img_2653302_3_e87f79c6042ec6258d15c053033d234d.jpg
img_2653302_4_532b8185dce1f46d7693464a6ab6c9ed.jpg

Then... I came upon this tank, which I fell in love with, and will pull heavy inspiration from...
img_2653302_5_cac8c1daac9bbf451c409b1cff202f15.jpg

So, that's a sneak peak of what I will eventually be working on... I don't know if I will start a new thread or what, or when it will happen, but the tank WILL be heavily rock scaped, and feature minimal species of flora... Something like this will allow open room for the neons, a sand bed for the corys, and a carpet for my background! ;)

This leads to my next subject... I figured I'll give you guys a chance for it before I post in the classifieds... I'll be selling off a lot of extra stuff I no longer have a need for... PM for prices but here's a list of what I'll eventually have available...

36" Finnex Ray 2
2 glass nano diffusers
2 glass drop checkers (one small one a little bigger)
Bunch of manzanita branches seen in the tank
Bunch of Seiryu stone (3 large pieces and a lot of smaller ones)
All my Blyxa Japonica, however, Brian has first dibs on this... ;)

Soooo... I think that's about it... Let me know what you guys think, and if anyone wants anything just let me know and I'll set you up! Thanks for reading guys! Hope you're all having a great weekend!!! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom