Bio-Spira Shelf Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know the shelf life of Bio-Spira? I have a package in my refrigerator that's about 6 to 8 months old and has never been opened. I'd like to use it to start a 29 gallon freshwater tank (no live plants). Thanks.

no idea how long it lasts but if I were you I would hold it close to heart so none of the crazy AA people take it on you. That is one hot ticket item!!!

Marineland claims up to 12 months, but personally I believe that is seriously stretching it. The cultures are very fragile since they don't form spores to protect themselves. IMO it's about three months with refridgeration. I've been seeing posts around the net from people who are finding it at their pet store, and finding out that it isn't working. Marineland hasn't shipped any new Bio Spira for well over three months now, and people are getting old product. Again, just my personal feelings, but I think Marineland is doing a serious disservice to hobbiests by not printing expiration dates (or at the very least packaging dates) on the product.

Try Fritz-Zyme Turbostart 700, it works exactly the same as Bio Spira and has printed expiration dates on the bottle. Google for places that sell it.

I would definitely use it, and post back with your results. You can't get the stuff now so there is nothing to lose. I recently used some that was 6 months old and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will post my results when I set-up the tank.

Try Fritz-Zyme Turbostart 700, it works exactly the same as Bio Spira

It is in no way the same product & is only a temporary fix to cycling preoblems. Only B-S will instantly cycle a tank, nothing else.

I don't want to "hi-jack" this thread, but how much was bio-spira when it was in stores? And do you think it will be the same price when it does come back? Thanks. :)

-brent

For me it was about $11 for an ounce, and about $20 for 3 ounces. I am hoping the price will go down, but would not be surprised to see a hike, since one would assume they are spending $$ on production and are not making anything on the product for the spring and summer.

Oooohh! I am SO gonna test this!

I have an ARLC that I am fixin' to run a fishless on, but if there is a product that claims to be comparable to Bio-Spira I am there.

I'll dust off my Geeks membership and post there with my results as well.

Well, I said I would post my results when I used the Bio-Spira, but unfortunately it "disappeared" from the refrigerator. My wife says something had spilled in the frig and made a huge mess and some things were thrown out. But nobody would admit to tossing it. I was not a happy camper, because I had not checked on it being there (didn't think anyone would throw it out) and I also had 24 small fish being acclimated in a bucket to be added to my newly set-up 29 gal. tank. I also wanted to see if it works.

I wound up taking some gravel from my established 55 gal. and put it in a nylon bag to seed the 29 gal. It's only been a few days and no signs of ammonia or nitrite, which surprises me a bit. The fish seem to be doing great. They're active, look good and have huge appetites.

Does taking gravel from an established tank to cycle a new one usually work this well? Thanks.

The jury is not out on the new tank - it will take a bit longer for things to get rocking. The gravel will help, but it is not going to "cycle" the tank, at least it has not worked for me when just using gravel in a nylon bag alone. Keep a watch on things day by day. If there are any other objects, like biowheels, fake plants, rocks, whatever, toss those in as well. Filter media works well, too.

I used to keep Bio-Spira (when it used to be available :( ) and Seachem Flourish in my refrig, which I think are completely benign things to keep in a fridge when sealed up. However, my husband has a real issue with "fishy" things going in the regular household refrigerator, so now we have a fridge in the garage and that is where fishy stuff goes. I completely feel your pain!

Back
Top Bottom