Bio-spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was talking to the manager of the local fish store and I explained my fish cycle. He said I could buy some Bio-Spira and just add it to my tank, thus possibly cycling my tank. I was under the assumption that you could only add Bio-Spira from day 1. Does anybody have any information concerning this topic? I would be interested on buying the stuff but only if I could add it to my cycling tank. Thanks!

Day 27:
20 gallon FW
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0.5ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 0ppm
temp: 78 F.

It can be added at any time during the cycling process (from what I understand). You shouldn't have any issues as long as you have fish in the tank to feed the bacteria. Otherwise it is pointless to add. :D HTH

If you have fish in the tank already, go ahead and add the rtecommended dose of biospira. Otherwise, wait until you buy your fish before adding it.

Biospira is a live bacterial culture. Adding it creates an instant biofilter that needs ammonia to survive from day one. I used it to cycle all my tanks - I added it with the fish, and checked the water parameters daily for a few weeks just to be on the safe side. It's a great product, IMO.

If you have existing ammonia or nitrites in your tank, the bio spira will take time to catch up, and if the levels are very high, it might not catch up fast enough to save your fish. Bio Spira is intended to be added to your tank when you add a full bio load of fish, so it can keep up with the ammonia created by your fish. If you want to add it to a tank with existing ammonia or nitrites, completely drain your tank, or if that's not possible, do a massive water change and remove as much water as you can. Then just refill your tank and add the bio spira. I have done it both ways with excellent results. :wink:

Day 28 update:

20 gallon FW tank
4 Harlequin Rasboras
temp: 78 F
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0.5ppm
nitrite: 0ppm

- 20% partial water change; added NovAqua +

I ordered Bio-Spira last night. I will be getting it sometime Monday or Tuesday. I plan on doing either a full or 80% water change. Then add the Bio-spira along with 5 Black Neon Tetras and 4 Peppered Cory cats. Then, monitor daily water readings, as I am doing currently, and cross my fingers.

It's not necessary to remove the carbon on account of Biospira. The question is whether you really need to have activated carbon at all - a topic of constant debate around here. I only run carbon in my hospital tank to remove medications.

I haven't used Bio-Spira, but my LFS has and recommends Turbostart (they sell the spira too, but it's on back order), which is just as good. They claim it's almost even fresher, because when they order it out it gets there the next day. Bio-Spira just has a bigger advertising budget than Turbostart. They told me to have fish in there for 24 hours before adding the bacteria.

Well that didn't do much with your question but thought I'd share that :p

cee219... Thanks for the input. Being that I am new to the hobby, I enjoy absorbing all the information my brain can handle. My Bio-Spira should be arriving Tuesday and I'll be adding it to my tank. Its been 30 days since I started my cycle with fish. I have been real patient(not buying more fish) but I am confused why I haven't had any readings of nitrites. I figure the Bio-Spira will help finish the cycle.

cee219 said:
I haven't used Bio-Spira, but my LFS has and recommends Turbostart (they sell the spira too, but it's on back order), which is just as good. They claim it's almost even fresher, because when they order it out it gets there the next day. Bio-Spira just has a bigger advertising budget than Turbostart. They told me to have fish in there for 24 hours before adding the bacteria.

Well that didn't do much with your question but thought I'd share that :p

Turbostart and bio spira are not the same thing, and don't let your lfs hoo doo you like that. I'm surprised he didn't tell you that cycle was the same as bio spira also. Bio spira is the only product that has the actual bacteria found in a cycled tank. All those other products may accelerate the cycle process, but they do not cycle a tank like bio spira does. All 3 times I have used bio spira, I have had an instant cycle, with ammonia and nitrites staying at zero, and nitrates were present within 24 hours. Some folks have experienced small spikes in their ammonia and nitrites, but these spikes were minimal compared to cycling the old fashioned way. Also remember that the bio spira must be fresh and alive when you use it, and proper handling of the bio spira by your dealer and yourself makes the difference whether it works or not.

I have heard good and bad things about the turbostart, and it doesn't sound like a bad product. However, it is not the same thing as bio spira, and I'm sure there is quite a price difference in both products. Bio spira is not cheap.

I never heard of turbo start. I know for a fact bio spira works, I also know stability works too, but not as quickly as bio spira. I think its worth the $20 for the bio spira, and once you have a cycled tank you have seeded gravel/filter pads to start another tank :D so its only a one time expense.

I know virtually nothing about biospira other than the little bit I've read here. The post above mentions $20 as the cost. Do you need more for larger tanks or is one dose enough to seed virtually any sized tank (I have a 90 gallon)? Is $20 roughy the cost at most LFS? If that's all it's going to cost I'd much rather do that than wait a month or more for my tank to cycle.

The larger the tank the more you are going to need. Your lfs will be able to tell you how much you will need. The lfs that I frequent (the only one that sells Bio-Spira) sell a bottle of it for $12. I'm not sure how large of a tank that works for though.

Bio Spira comes in 1 oz. and 3 oz. packages. 1 oz. treats 30 gallons, so you would need the 3 oz. size for a 90 gallon tank. I fudged a little the last time I used it on my 100 gallon tank, and it worked perfectly! Check this place out for the cheapest and freshest bio spira you will find. My bet he is even cheaper with shipping than you can find locally, and his supply is replenished every week, so you know it's fresh.

Bio Spira

I wish I would have found about about this product earlier. I've been cycling my tank (55G) now for about a month. My amonia has spiked and now is about down to nothing, however my nitrites have now spiked up quite high and I lost a fish today. I've been doing partial water changes almost every other day and sometimes more. I've been removing about 25% of the water each time. Today I replaced almost 50%. I hope the nitrite eating bacterium get their act together soon. My local petsmart does not carry Bio Spira and the local Wal Mart is a joke. If you want to see dead fish, go there. Next time I am going to order the Bio Spira and give it a shot. I hear there is a fish store in my town (Salem, OR.) but have not found or done any business with them yet.

You would think the state capitol would have more than 1 store!

:roll:

Have you tried searching the online Yellow Pages for stores in the area? Thats what I did and found many small mom and pop stores that are tucked away.

Hi fanatic,

Right after I posted the earlier message I gave it a shot. I found one store that is fairly close to my location. I am going to stop by there today if I have time. However, I think that I may be nearing the end of my cycle. I did another 20% water change this morning as once again the Nitrite level was starting to get up in the 2 to 3 ppm range. I understand that the Nitrite eating bacteria take a while longer to develope in enough quantity to convert the nitrites to nitrate. I have started to see nitrates show up so I hope that it will finish soon.

Back
Top Bottom