Bio Wheel vs Charcoal Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey?! Which filter I like the 2128 But at only 267 gph would that keep the tank clean?

I'm under the impression (no personal experience, yet) that canister filters have lower flow rates because of the filtration provided it doesn't need to be as high. The XP3 is rated for something like 175gall aquariums, at 350gph. I think this is probably plenty. Going for the 600+gph pumps, while isn't necessarily a bad thing, is probably a lot more money than you need to spend.

just my thoughts.

I'm debating right now between an eheim and a filstar for my 46gal.

Here is why I'm in debate over the two eheim. One includes a heater... which would help alot because without a sump... my tank isn't set up to have one in the tank. If you look above the lip of the tank doesn't come anywhere near the side of the tank, so I would have to jerry-rig the cord aways.

Second the 2260 (which moves more water) looks to have way smaller couplings/fitings/nozzles for the hoses that run in and out of it. Which means that if they aren't the same size of the pvc running from the tank im gonna have to my a piece of pvc that will bring down the size... or bigger on one end than the other. Because I have never done this I'm wondering if this is safe for the pump. Also if someone could confirm that this post makes sense I would be great. lol :? :D

===============================================
EDIT
===============================================

Another thing is I do understand... is that the more you move your water the clearer and better quality it will be.

But if the 2128 (moving 267 gph) is rated for tanks up to 150 gallons.

Would I see a huge difference in a 70 Gallon tank between a filter that moves almost 300 gallons to one that does almost or over 600?

Also I found both the filters for around the same price

neilanh - you are correct about the flow rates. Keep in mind also most manufactures ratings are based when the filter has no media. I can't recall if Ehiem is the same way.

Diablos - if all things are equal between the two filters like similar media and set up, the 600gph will do a better job at keeping your water clean. I'm not familiar with Ehiems so you might want to create another post, since this is getting off the main topic, regarding the two filters.

Back
Top Bottom